Little Gwyn: A new harmonic style 20 button anglo tune

Morning!

I have a Welsh folk tale inspired new tune :)

Im discovering there are so many different ways you can accompany a tune on a 20button - and sustained chords (which are found at the end of this tune) are my latest enthusiasm!  

But they sure take some thought and bellows planning ;)

They really make me think of choral stuff and chapel organs which is lovely because I started playing as a wee dot on a reed organ.

Are there names for all these types of accompaniments beyond being harmonic in nature? So far I can think of octaves (on all or some notes), countermelodies (imitations, inversions, in parallel 6ths of 3rds, equal written so the countermelody is a nice tune in itself), bass and chord (rhythmic, oom pah etc), countermelody + rhythmic chords, sustained chords, accompaniment of all the above types on r hand..and of course many styles and combinations  of the above

Edited by Kathryn Wheeler
I worked out how to paste a video link finally :p
  • Like 12

That's really very nice! Thank you for brightening up my day...😎

The lady is being unnecessarily shy/retiring/modest! A quick trawl through the YouTube

labyrinth reveals at least three more very pleasant concertina tracks. Super!

Edit 5 minutes later: Ooh! Lots more (non-tina) material too. I love it...😎

Edited by The Crimson Avenger
  • Like 1

Hi Crimson Avenger!

I am a bit shy, but I have posted one of the others up here (albeit in the General Discussion forum because I was introducing myself :)  

I forgot completely that I hadn’t posted Madoc of Hendy here! 

Yes, I’m very very new to doing videos of me all on my own (needs must in the lockdown era, but actually it’s proving such an enlightening and useful thing to do, who knew..) but as you can see I have been in many videos for band/trio work before that

And videos of concertina is extremely new because I’m new to it (one year in April)

Thankyou, that’s really encouraging:)

Edited by Kathryn Wheeler

5 hours ago, TapTheForwardAssist said:

Hello @Kathryn Wheeler, do you mind if I also share the link to your video on Reddit? We have both r/Concertina (which is just a landing-place to send folks to here) and the r/Wales subreddit that both might enjoy this!

No problem, go ahead!

Cheers!

3 hours ago, Jim Besser said:

Very nice - great playing, great tune and the sound quality is very good.

Thankyou Jim, that means a lot! 

I used a little portable recording device as well as videoing it on my phone and replaced the sound with that.  I still hadn’t got quite the optimal distance as I noticed it was so close to clipping in one section when I viewed the waveforms on screen - but it’s a definite improvement over the phone audio!  So fine for any time I don’t fancy wheeling mics out.

On 2/4/2021 at 9:25 AM, Kathryn Wheeler said:

...Are there names for all these types of accompaniments beyond being harmonic in nature? So far I can think of octaves (on all or some notes), countermelodies (imitations, inversions, in parallel 6ths of 3rds, equal written so the countermelody is a nice tune in itself), bass and chord (rhythmic, oom pah etc), countermelody + rhythmic chords, sustained chords, accompaniment of all the above types on r hand...

You seem to have pretty comprehensively 'nailed' the different approaches to 'Harmonic Anglo' there. I'm going

to re-format that as an itemised list and stick a copy in my Morris tune book, session tune book and personal

tune book. Thank you for the insight!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

This is not a harmonic treatment of my 20b, but me playing around with what sounds nice on piano accordion with a single line on anglo - as a start to exploring a bit more what the two instruments can do together.  I have more than one piano accordionist friend locally who I love meeting up with, so its nice to start working up some ideas.  Can't wait to see what we can do with a harmonic anglo + PA  (I suspect being quite sparing and subtle with the PA might be the way forward but who knows..!)  Early days..

• Like 3

Thanks so much, CrP, I’m glad you like it!

The recorded sound was quite straightforward in that the accordion was fine straight out of the phone I videoed it all with.  The Anglo however prefers a small handheld recording device.  I panned the two slightly away from each other but there aren’t any effects 

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...