Phoenix vs Minstrel

On 3/2/2021 at 1:28 AM, papawemba said:

Hello,

I am back to the concertina world, not completely yet as I am looking for a new (or used) concertina.
For my budget, I got the same conclusion, Minstrel or Phoenix. So did you decide ?

And because of Brexit, England is less an option to buy a concertina, huge customs tax to Belgium ! 
And not many shop in Ireland...

I have a favor for the Phoenix because of Tipo a Mano reed, but can't find any audio source of a notes by notes...
Here's a video of slow playing on the Minstrel, I like it (maybe more on the harsh side than sweet) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkE_Prbs0Ow.

But don't have any Phoenix comparison, I read it is sweet with Czech reed....

Any though on the Phoenix is super welcome !

Best
Nicolas

Hey, That's ME playing. lol

Sorry that the recording quality is far from excellent. I used built in microphone of iPad. 

I have been using Minstrel (with Wakker Bellows)for nearly three years, and it still keeps me entertained. 

That recording is nearly one year old and now I can bring out far better music from Minstrel. (I think) 

I would definitely choose Minstrel (or Clover) over McNeela brand instrument. 

Wim Wakker is confident and responsible for his products wile McNeela ...... well, I am not sure. 

A friend of mine had had an unpleasing experience with McNeela phoenix and I have a feeling that aftersales support of McNeela is not trustworthy either. 

If you are lucky enough, it is possible that you may come up with a good quality McNeela brand concertina. 

Totani 

Thanks gtotani, nice playing 🙂

That is what I though about McNeela but at the same time not sure at all...But somehow your friend experience confirm...

Between Phenix and Minstrel, I finally decided for a concertina by Seth Hamont lol

The model he called "Herrington classic"....And I am very happy ! I will write a short review soon.

Best

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 3/26/2021 at 2:18 AM, papawemba said:

Thanks gtotani, nice playing 🙂

That is what I though about McNeela but at the same time not sure at all...But somehow your friend experience confirm...

Between Phenix and Minstrel, I finally decided for a concertina by Seth Hamont lol

The model he called "Herrington classic"....And I am very happy ! I will write a short review soon.

Best

Hello, papawemba,

Harrington Classic by Seth Hamont. I have never heard of this maker, but the photos and the description on the web look good and it is good to hear that you are happy with it. Looking forward to your review. 

I wonder is Seth Mamont would reproduce square Harrington sometime in the future. 

https://swedishbagpipes.com/concertina

26 minutes ago, Seth said:

Yes indeed.  I still have the original end plates for two styles of Harold’s square concertinas.

Seth Hamon 

Great to know that, Seth.  :)

Shame on me for my ignorance.

Gen Totani

• Like 1