EasyABC and macOS Big Sur - end of the road?

adrian brown

1 hour ago, adrian brown said:

I can't comment on any of the recent posts here as it goes way beyond my technical ability, etc...

I'm happy that at least one person has benefited from my original suggestion.

Alex's post indicating that WINE may well work is better news than was contained in my post about this

software. I'm sorry now that I made the post - I did think carefully before making the post, but it seems to

have done nothing but muddy the waters. This was not my intention. My apologies to anyone who has been

confused by this. Mea culpa!

Edited by lachenal74693

• 4 months later...

A perennial question with Macs. I'm only running Catalina, but you can go to System Preferences (Security and Privacy pane, perhaps?) where you can give permission to run apps not from Apple-recognized developers. Someone here will recall the specifics...

Ken

You’re on the right track, Ken. I’m running Big Sur. Opening the “General” pane of the “Security and Privacy” section of “System Preferences” after trying to open an app that the MacOS blocks will present you with an option to open it anyway. Once you allow it to open, the question won’t arise again unless you update the software. You need to take a leap of faith that you can trust the software, but nobody on this forum (or anywhere else that I am aware of) has reported problems resulting from downloading and running “EasyABC.”

More 'good news' relating to potential problems with Apple Macs!

Seems as if the processors in new model Macintoshes are an entirely different architecture, leading to

further problems, specifically with EasyABC. I haven't really followed it, as I'm not a Mac user, but a discussion

on the ABCusers list can be found here

[On the subject of running non-Macintosh software in general, I have an acquaintance who system has flatly refused to

install/implement a language compiler using these "System Preferences" options. This compiler comes from a reputable

U.S. university research group with an international reputation. So much for Macintosh!  I'm really glad I don't have a

Macintosh, and hope and pray that the same sort of situation never arises with Windoze machines...

Is this bloody company called Apple or Macintosh, or what?]

Edited by lachenal74693

13 hours ago, lachenal74693 said:

More 'good news' relating to potential problems with Apple Macs!

Seems as if the processors in new model Macintoshes are an entirely different architecture, leading to

further problems, specifically with EasyABC. I haven't really followed it, as I'm not a Mac user, but a discussion

on the ABCusers list can be found here.

More recent additions to that discussion seem to suggest that the problem is resolved.

9 hours ago, David Barnert said:

More recent additions to that discussion seem to suggest that the problem is resolved.

Aye, I had another look. I freely admit that I know so little about Macs, that I couldn't really

work out whether the problem had been fixed or not. It was just a 'heads-up' to alert folks

to another potential bump in the road. If a fix has been found, that's good news 😎.

Thanks, by the way, for reconnecting me with the abcusers group. I was on it in the late 90s, early 2000s, and somehow fell off. I didn’t know it was still operating (it was an email list, not a group, when I knew it). I have now rejoined and still see some of the same names posting.

13 hours ago, David Barnert said:

Thanks, by the way, for reconnecting me with the abcusers group...

Heh! Apart from alerting  Mac users to some possible problemettes with the Mac machines using

these new architectures, the 'hidden agenda' was to make folks aware that 'ABCusers' existed. I dunno the

full story, but I think the original forum/group/list died a slow lingering death, and it was revived on a new

platform some time last year. The really bad news is that I joined, and now sometimes post there as well

as here - there is no escape...😎

Edited by lachenal74693