Want to sell an antique 48 key Lachenal - please advise.

ramron

Hi,

I have a 48 key Lachenal that I inherited from my uncle (who was in fact a naval captain).

I have been told that it is likely from the mid 1920s.

I had it briefly evaluated for repair by the Button Box, and I was told that it would require a fair bit of work. I toyed with the idea of doing it myself, but I don't play the concertina, so that project is probably better left to someone else.

I have tried to capture the overall cosmetic condition in the attached photos.

When I play it, all the notes sound and they appear to be in pretty good tune. Some notes sound flat, but are within 10 cents according to my tuner. It is winter in New England, so perhaps they would be closer to in-tune in warmer weather. Not all the notes sound at the same volume on the push as on the pull, and one or two notes only sound in one direction. 

One of the keys on the right-hand side is stuck. I am pointing to the key in question with a pen in the attached photos.

Cosmetically, it shows its age, although the wood is actually in better condition than the photos suggest. There are some patches on the bellows, and the leather thumb straps are worn.

It has the original wood (?mahogany?) case, but this is also in cosmetically rough shape, and one of the boards on the bottom of the case has fallen out. 

My questions to this forum are as follows:

1. Would I be able to sell an instrument in this condition? 
  2. What would be a reasonable price to expect?
  3. Would anyone here want to buy it potentially?

Many thanks!

Ram

Bellows 1.jpg

Case bottom.jpg

Case top.jpg

Lachenal 1.jpg

Lachenal 2.jpg

Lachenal 3.jpg

Stuck key.jpg

If I had an instrument from a family member I'd be strongly tempted to hang onto it until I could afford to fix it and play it. But that's just me, and the pile of various instruments in my house shows I'm not very practical.  8o)

Ken

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ken_Coles said:

If I had an instrument from a family member I'd be strongly tempted to hang onto it until I could afford to fix it and play it. But that's just me, and the pile of various instruments in my house shows I'm not very practical.  8o)

Ken

Ken, you raise a good point, however my case, my uncle never played it. I am tempted to fix it and learn to play, but until then it would sit in my music room, along with three accordions, three clarinets, two ukulele's, a banjo, a saxophone,  and countless harmonicas...

• Like 1

I’d keep it too, and pass it on to another family member but I understand! :) 

However I am looking for one (first concertina) to repair and play, but not sure how much the postage would be (France). You can post me a message if you don’t find a wealthy purchaser.

Good luck. Simon

• 1 year later...