Jump to content

Aeola bellows construction


Recommended Posts

So I made a set of bellows for a Treble Aeola at the request of a friend, and I  decided to share this build on here.

I found the process very labour intensive and exacting, but no more difficult than making hex bellows.

I had to dig into basic maths to plan the jig, and I did loads of research on construction methods by searching this forum. The well known constructors on here have given a huge amount of information to us all freely.

The end product is now installed and working very well indeed.

20210115_150224.jpg

20210122_154130.jpg

20210129_165233.jpg

20210122_173915.jpg

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Geoff Woof

I will post some more photos. The main feature is that my bellows design process was inspired by the Bob Tedrow method. However  I didn't follow his construction techniques apart from the aspect of the crucial measurements. I have tried the bandsaw method of cutting bellows cards before but it doesn't work for me.

This means that all I needed to start making the jig was the inside frame corner to corner distance, the depth of the fold (1") and the number of folds (6). The rest is just maths.

I made the template for the cards from brass and used it to cut 112 individual cards using a scalpel. This was similar to the method used by Michael Pierceall. I made single pieces of leather to cover the valleys. This gave a very neat appearance similar to the Wheatstone original bellows. The need for spacing of the valley bottoms to accommodate the linen, card and leather when folded was mentioned once in a post by Dana Johnson.

Most of my other ideas came via Alex Holden's work.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looks splendid!  All I can do is shake my head in admiration....just cutting "112 pieces with a scalpel" is reason enough for me to either hire a pro or play with leaky bellows....and that looks like the simple part!

 

Are we awaiting the first "Tiposx 'Tina" release?

 

Regards,

 

David

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi David

I might just have a rest from making bellows for a little while and play music again. All that cutting is hard work on the finger joints!

 Interesting that the old bellows, also 6 fold, had a few patches but seemed to play well. The problem was that they smelled a bit and gave off fumes of some description that interfered with breathing. Sounds a bit dramatic but they were banned from my friend’s house, And I could only use them in his draughty old barn (when that was legal). I am a bit on the wheezy/allergic side though...

 

These new ones seem to hold a huge amount of air, don’t really understand how but it is a good thing. I did design the fold angle at over 90 deg which must help.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...