Duet Concertina - Lachenal Crane fingering layout

3 hours ago, RAc said:

actually, the snapshot must have been taken before Feb 20,2019 because at that date Chris had (upon my request for privacy protection) removed my name from Wheatstone 20796. On the snapshot it's still there. I received your #3 about a week prior to that, so I suspect your entries weren't on the site yet when the ICAs snapshot was taken.

The ICA just added this as a subdomain of the ICA site in the last couple of days!  It's still in progress.

PUSH BUTTONS - I play jazz .I find a 55 -button model - whatever the make - is needed to give the spread of notes you need on both sides.I have two Lachenal 55 Cranes...my better, 58 button Wheatstone , is my main performance instrument.Other instruments include a 48-button Wheatstone which has beautiful reeds v- but I sometimes pick it  up, play something and realise halfway through the song/tune that I have run out of notes.I also have a metal-ended 55-button.... which has a different tone.You would think the metal ends would suit jazz and  have more "edge." But it is a quietter instrument, so I will grab the Wheatstone and Lachenal wooden-ended models first.I love playing the 48 - which was recently overhauled by the "Concertina Doctor" , Nigel Sture. But I limit my playing on it and stick to the larger models so my wrist muscles etc are " up to speed."(Bit of arthritis etc) Another factor- not always considered by inexperienced players - is the number of bellows, which affects the  dynamics of the way you play a tune. My main instrument has  eight-fold, the two Lachenals are 7.

Edited by Lakeman
spelling mistakes

Regarding an earlier question the LH Dsharp and E on the left hand end are on separate buttonsworking on the push, thr Bbis double action. My three cranes (two Henry Crabb made and my Aeola No 30657)all have eight fold bellows.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...