Barrett's Privateers

I've been looking around for a version of this song that sounds right on the concertina and have had no such luck. It's one of the songs my students want to perform for a variety show (heavily changed lyrics) and they roped me into it cause I made the mistake of practicing during my school planning period. I've looked in both Gary Coovers sea shanty books but wasn't able to find it there. 

Any pointers to places where I might have more luck?

The late Stan Rogers wrote this song (published in "Songs from Fogarty's Cove" unfortunately OOP) and with his group performed it without accompaniment (a capella) in the recordings I have. Having heard it that way (and having attempted to sing it once or twice myself) I can't imagine how to play along with it, but no doubt it can be done. For me it is meant to be a capella (as is "Northwest Passage") - that is in the soul of the song.

Many of Stan's songs (I believe it was Pete Seeger? who called Stan the "Woody Guthrie of Canada) were published in the out of print book I mentioned above. His recordings have mostly been reissued. See stanrogers.net or maybe try Mudcat for more ideas/info.

The best known spoof is "The Last of Garnet's Homemade Beer." Garnet Rogers is Stan's brother. IIRC Ian Robb wrote those words.

Ken

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ken_Coles said:

The late Stan Rogers wrote this song (published in "Songs from Fogarty's Cove" unfortunately OOP) and with his group performed it without accompaniment (a capella) in the recordings I have. Having heard it that way (and having attempted to sing it once or twice myself) I can't imagine how to play along with it, but no doubt it can be done. For me it is meant to be a capella (as is "Northwest Passage") - that is in the soul of the song.

Many of Stan's songs (I believe it was Pete Seeger? who called Stan the "Woody Guthrie of Canada) were published in the out of print book I mentioned above. His recordings have mostly been reissued. See stanrogers.net or maybe try Mudcat for more ideas/info.

The best known spoof is "The Last of Garnet's Homemade Beer." Garnet Rogers is Stan's brother. IIRC Ian Robb wrote those words.

Ken

Ok, I'll tell the students this one gets no accompaniment. Thank you.

14 hours ago, Ken_Coles said:

Ken

I perfectly agree. FWIW, here's a version worthwhile watching:

The only non a capella rendition of Northwest Passage I consider worth listening to comes from Stan's son Nathan who accompanies himself on guitar (simply search the tube for it).

May Stan never be forgotten. Larger than life in his young years already and passed away way too early.

• Like 1

The version in the video is essentially in the key of C, perfect for Anglo, and easily playable with harmonies on a 20-button.

It was on the original list of tunes to put in the books, but lost out since it is obviously still in copyright. Hopefully you can pick it out from this video!

Gary

On 1/18/2021 at 5:32 PM, wunks said:

Edited by Halifax
Apologies, I rushed to post a "know-it-all" post before I read the whole thread and realized that others had identified Stan Rogers as the composer/songwriter

15 hours ago, RAc said:

The only non a capella rendition of Northwest Passage I consider worth listening to comes from Stan's son Nathan who accompanies himself on guitar (simply search the tube for it).

What do you think about this version? I love the added instrumentals.

22 hours ago, RAc said:

I perfectly agree. FWIW, here's a version worthwhile watching:

Ironically, when I clicked to watch this video just now, as I was watching Stan speak, a small pop-up ad appeared that said “Mortgage rates fall again.” 

Get it? “Fall again,” “Rise again”? I’m sure the sponsor had no clue...

42 minutes ago, David Barnert said:

Get it? “Fall again,” “Rise again”? I’m sure the sponsor had no clue...

Yeah, and I'm sure neither the sponsor nor the publisher of the video has any influence over or knowledge about which ads are shown in what video context, it's all up to Google (or whichever third-party vendor is in charge of the ad placement). Pet peeve of mine that in today's world, creative content doesn't appear to have a value of its own anymore but the value of clicks some far side machinery uses to try to sell whatever stuff to whoever.

Insider humor, isn't it? I'm certain some real estate tie with ears would be tempted to tailor a song like MEC to his business ("fall again, fall again, let the rates never climb to the ceiling top fan..." or something the like), but I'm also certain that Stan wouldn't approve at all. Neither would I, but that's a different issue.

7 hours ago, Timv said:

What do you think about this version? I love the added instrumentals.,

I had seen that video before, and it didn't impress me too much, but there is no point in debating (musical) taste. It's certainly a reasonable arrangement, but to my ear it doesn't fit the lyrics which (as in Barrett's Privateers) ask for strong vocals. But again, that's purely personal, sorry for bringing in my opinion earlier, I shouldn't have done that...

37 minutes ago, RAc said:

I had seen that video before, and it didn't impress me too much, but there is no point in debating (musical) taste. It's certainly a reasonable arrangement, but to my ear it doesn't fit the lyrics which (as in Barrett's Privateers) ask for strong vocals. But again, that's purely personal, sorry for bringing in my opinion earlier, I shouldn't have done that...

It’s the same arrangement that’s on the album, “Fogarty’s Cove.” I never liked these harmonies, and now seeing it on video, I’m none too pleased with an image of white men, some more talented than others, sitting around looking very pleased with themselves. The song sounds better at our local “Pick’n Sing’n Gather’n” than it does in this arrangement.

1 hour ago, David Barnert said:

It’s the same arrangement that’s on the album, “Fogarty’s Cove.” I never liked these harmonies, and now seeing it on video, I’m none too pleased with an image of white men, some more talented than others, sitting around looking very pleased with themselves. The song sounds better at our local “Pick’n Sing’n Gather’n” than it does in this arrangement.

I'm not sure if we're talking about the same track here, David. AFAIK, there is no rendition of Northwest Passage on Stan Roger's album named Fogarty's cove. The video I was referring to was the Longest Johns' rendition of Northwest Passage that TimV posted. Or is there an album named Fogarty's cove by the Longest Johns which features Northwest Passage (I couldn't find an indication for that on their home page)? Or were you back to the original video I posted of Barrett's Privateers? If so, do you refer to Stan's Band as "more or less talented self pleased white men?"

I'm a little confused...

Edited by RAc

16 hours ago, RAc said:

Ah yes, I completely agree about the voice not being strong enough for this.