sighting

I was walking quickly through a room while out of the corner of my eye I spied Idris Elba holding a concertina.   No, he was not visiting. My son was watching Prometheus, a science fiction flick on a rather large screen.  I didn't stick around to see if the concertiina was actually played or if so for how long, but it was fun to see.

The one used in the film was one of 2 purchased by the film company. The other one was a piccolo purchased from Chris Algar, and made by Steve Dickinson for Glad Thorp. Subsequently it came up for sale on ebay, witht he seller saying he had been gifted the instrument. When a number of people questioned the ebay seller, the sale was withdrawn. The instrument has not been heard of since.

I don't know how many of these there are in the world, however I remember seeing a craigslist ad for one in the New Jersey area not long ago ( a couple of months?).  It was metal ended and an edeophone, if my memory serves me.  Advertised as a soprano with (piccolo) in parentheses.  I don't see the ad any longer.

6 hours ago, wunks said:

It was metal ended and an edeophone, if my memory serves me.

Has Steve Dickinson made any edeophones? His (Wheatstone) website speaks of hexagonal concertinas and octagonal aeolas. 12-sided edeophones were a Lachenal thing, not a Wheatstone thing.

20 hours ago, JimR said:

I'm watching Murdoch Mysteries now, Season 7 Episode 8, called Republic of Murdoch (Allan Hawco appears). One scene includes a band, and a concertina, which appears to really be played.

I had a look at that, and that scene looks to have been filmed in Newfoundland.  I didn't recognize any of the "musicians", and there are only a literal handful of concertina players on the island.  In any case, the tunes are from  a recording by a Newfoundland band called the Dardanelles.  They have a great accordion player, but no concertina.

6 hours ago, wunks said:

This thread mentions an Edeophone as the box in the film (Greg J.).

Read it carefully. It says:

I sold it to Fox Productions for Prometheus but they did later buy a metal-ended Edeophone from me which was actually used in the film.

In other words, the Dickinson Wheatstone Piccolo (the subject of that thread) was sold to the film company but did not appear in the film. The one that DID appear was an edeophone, but not a piccolo.

• Like 1