Need help! Cigarette smoke?

This is a new one for me!

I did a trade yesterday. And I got a nice 50s era Wheatstone 3E. The issue is.. well, it kind of stinks. 
It has a stake cigarette smoke smell. Is there an accepted easy fix here?  Throw a few Altoids in there and call it done?

squirt of Febreeze?

thanks!

I once bought an antique ocarina that stunk of cigarette smoke on the inside. A chemist friend suggested streaming ozone through it. I never got around to finding a source of ozone and the smell went away on its own, but the ozone idea sounds like it might work.

Interesting thought.. not sure where I’d buy ozone though.

i am presuming that the person I traded this with was not a smoker. He was a younger guy. But we both had masks on...

I am wondering if leaving out of the case for a few days may do something? But.. as it seems like the issue is when I close the bellows, it is like somebody is blowing smoke in your face. So not quite sure of how to get airflow inside?

Edited by seanc

Lee Valley Tools (Canadian, but I'm sure they ship internationally) sell a volcanic rock deodorizer.  It's a plastic net bag filled with something that looks like a cross between kitty litter and fine gravel.  Their small size can be tucked inside the bellows and left there for a week or two, and should absorb a good portion of the odor.  The bags are reusable- they can be recharged by soaking in salt water and drying in the sun.

Edited by Bill N

9 minutes ago, Bill N said:

Canadian, but I'm sure they ship internationally

Be careful. I ordered something from Canada a month ago and it was shipped the same day (Canada Post: I have seen an image of the mailing label). A little over half a kilogram. I haven’t got it yet.

A college chemistry department might be able to steer you to ozone.

1 hour ago, David Barnert said:

Be careful. I ordered something from Canada a month ago and it was shipped the same day (Canada Post: I have seen an image of the mailing label). A little over half a kilogram. I haven’t got it yet.

More likely stuck in customs hell. 

Have you checked the tracking number against the Canada Post tracking site:

https://www.canadapost.ca/trackweb/en#/home

Lee Valley have their own shipping locations in the US.

Edited by Don Taylor

I think of ozone (a gas, O3) as something you generate on the spot (from O2 in the air, e.g. by an arcing spark). It is so reactive that it isn't something I would want to ship. Maybe I'm out of the loop here.

There are lots of home remedies for removing odors; I'm sure we'll get some more here. Maybe try some activated charcoal? (my contribution to the list of ideas  8o)

Ken

How about keeping a box of baking soda (bicarbonate of soda) in with it for a while, to absorb the odor?  I don't know how much it would do, but It would be very inexpensive to try, so worth a punt.

4 hours ago, Ken_Coles said:

Maybe try some activated charcoal?

1 hour ago, wunks said:

Odor eaters (shoe insoles)?

Odor Eaters are activated charcoal.

5 hours ago, Don Taylor said:

More likely stuck in customs hell. 

Have you checked the tracking number against the Canada Post tracking site:

https://www.canadapost.ca/trackweb/en#/home

As we’re off topic, I’ll respond with a PM.

Edited by David Barnert

Bought an EC from the UK a few years ago with the same smelly problem. The cigarette/pipe tobacco smell only lingered for a few weeks once the instrument was out of it's case..........unless my nose became insensitive to it! Let it breathe some clean air for a while.

8 hours ago, Ken_Coles said:

I think of ozone (a gas, O3) as something you generate on the spot (from O2 in the air, e.g. by an arcing spark).

An ad hoc solution might be to stand outside in an exposed position during a lightning storm, holding the

concertina above your head, and praying for an arcing spark (aka a lightning strike). That should provide

an adequate supply of ozone?

It might work, but the downside is that you will possibly end up incinerated with smoke coming out of

your boots...

Edited by lachenal74693
  • Haha 1

An interesting follow up. Went to bed last night.. the girlfriend says.. wow, I can smell cigarettes.. 

surprising how low long the smell just sticks and lingers. The room where this was played and stored is next to the bedroom. Apx 10-15 feet.

I once did some research involving pure nicotine, and noticed that it had very much the same odor as cigarette butts in the department lounge ashtrays.

So that suggests (a) one way to test methods without endangering your concertina (practice by de-odorizing used cigarette filters**, or store cigar butts for awhile in old soft- leather shoes) ; and (b) a molecular model for your chemist pals to use when suggesting approaches. 

Nicotine alone dissolves well in pure water at low pH (acid), and in oils at high pH (alkaline, typical of soaps). Lingering cig-smoke smell involves (nicotine + tars & oils).

Totally untested suggestions* based on the above (warning: I know practically nothing about leather care)

I'd first try a high-pH soap like a (diluted with some water, not straight from bottle) saddle soap or Murphy's Oil soap, then a quick water-rinse, dry & apply some leather cream or leather conditioner.

Or you could try a mechanic's citrus-based hand cleaner withOUT pumice (permatex brand has neutral pH of 7), which might still remove oils while adding that happy orange-y aroma (but nicotine +citrus=ick). 

Be aware that some leather dyes can be affected by pH changes, so test on an inconspicuous part, maybe with coton swabs. Also avoid soaking the leather for long periods. 

*Your mileage may vary. Not responsible, yadda^2.

**acquiring these will be left as an exercise for the reader. Or get unflavored vape oil. 

Richard (pennywhistle, but a concertina ally)