Join the International Concertina Association!

☺️ just checked my bank statement and the automatic payment to the ICA went out last week. 

Competitive playing does not really appeal to me but there is great pleasure in meeting other concertina players of all the varied systems, Anglo, Duet, English, comparing and listening to the instruments and having a good tune session. ...... with songs for those who can sing, I can't carry a tune in a bucket singing ☺️

On 1/8/2021 at 8:36 PM, Colin Whyles said:

That is interesting, Wes. When I took over the website after Michel died, I did a lot of tidying up of the files. I found many files were missing: there were links, but the folders were empty. Do you still have copies that I could have to complete things?

I've sent you a PM with my home email so we can try to sort things out. I ran the website for around 5 years before Michel took over, so these missing files could have been what I added, and Michel removed to free up space. During that time I got the ICA committee to agree to making Newsletters over about 20-25 years old publicly available, along with a copy of a recent Newsletter, as part of the encouragement to join the ICA.

But the current situation with Newsletters available "online in PDF readable format, but not downloadable or printable" is not useful for serious research unless you can provide some kind of search facility. At the moment its a bit of a lucky-dip, and what the concertina world and the ICA really needs now is to encourage new blood to continue concertina research after all the 'old folks' like me have to stop, which I'm seeing more and more as each year passes.

I invested to be a life member which I've never regretted. How can you be interested in concertinas and not support the ICA? Its subs are only around the price of four High-Street coffee and cakes!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, wes williams said:

But the current situation with Newsletters available "online in PDF readable format, but not downloadable or printable" is not useful for serious research unless you can provide some kind of search facility.

I have changed from the inbuilt Wordpress search to a Google enhanced search engine that does search the PDFs.

Thanks for that Colin, here's wishing you best of luck for the future for both the website and sound archive! Feel free to grab any vintage mp3 recordings from my website (similar software used to Izotope RX) or message me if you want anything there in archival wav format.

• 1 month later...

A follow-up message to my January 4 message (below).  If you've been thinking about joining the ICA but haven't done it yet, consider doing it now!  The first 2021 issue of Concertina World will be coming out soon and if you join within the next week or so, you will receive it on time (and you will make life easier for our Membership Secretary).  We are continuing to enhance the offerings on our website: we have recently added 70 pages to the 19th-century Hayman Concertina Book, and we have recently added index and search capabilities for that book, the online Concertina World music supplements, and the catalogue of our music library.  We're also continuing to add sound recordings to the site.

To join, go to the ICA membership page at https://concertina.org/membership .   For more information about ICA, see my message below or look around the website at https://concertina.org 

On 1/4/2021 at 12:10 PM, Daniel Hersh said:
C.net folks--

If you're not already a member of the International Concertina Association, this would be a great time to join.  Membership goes with the calendar year, so joining now will cover your membership dues through the end of 2021.  Members receive the quarterly Concertina World magazine and its music supplement, both of which will be mailed to you in paper form.  You'll also have access to the members-only portions of the ICA website and to Cohen Braithwaite-Kilcoyne's recent all-systems video concertina workshop, as well as to the ICA library of concertina music.  Most important, you'll be a part of the only international concertina organization, still going strong almost 70 years after its founding!  

To join, go to the ICA membership page at https://concertina.org/membership .   For more information about ICA, look around the website at https://concertina.org .  There are samples of music supplements and one sample issue of Concertina World at https://concertina.org/category/concertina-world .

Daniel

OK, I just pulled the trigger and joined. Thank you Daniel for repeated suggestions. I meant to do this (literally) decades ago. At the time (if my recollection is not addled) it was suggested I should send a draft in dollars by post to the UK. Knowing what headaches that causes the recipient in another country, I hesitated to do so. Much easier now, even if the middlemen do take a cut of the proceeds.

Ken

• Thanks 2