Victorian Methods

I've just updated the "Other Makers" section on my site http://www.lvcott.fsnet.co.uk/ but to give you repairing folks here a fair share, I've also added an 1890'ish article on Repairing Concertinas.

Hope you enjoy it ... wes

Wes,

I'd really like to read the 1890'ish repair article. I've downloaded it, but all I see is 3 completely blank pages!

Theo

I've just updated the "Other Makers" section on my site http://www.lvcott.fsnet.co.uk/ but to give you repairing folks here a fair share, I've also added an 1890'ish article on Repairing Concertinas.

Hope you enjoy it ... wes

Wes,

I'd really like to read the 1890'ish repair article. I've downloaded it, but all I see is 3 completely blank pages!

Theo

Works for me (eventually - it's around 1Mb) ... what version of acroabt are you using? have you tried right clicking the link to save it. Then seeing if you can open it out of the web browser>

Chris J

I'd really like to read the 1890'ish repair article.  I've downloaded it, but all I see is 3 completely blank pages!

Theo

I can't explain why you are having problems,Theo. The PDF file is put together in exactly the same way as many ICA archive files, and I haven't had any complaints about those yet. The only thing I can think of is that if you are using a slow phone modem Acrobat shows you the pages as empty before they are downloaded. I'm sorry it is as large as 1M, but its original images, and I can't make it much smaller without losing detail.

The only thing I can think of is that if you are using a slow phone modem Acrobat shows you the pages as empty before they are downloaded. I'm sorry it is as large as 1M, but its original images, and I can't make it much smaller without losing detail.

Wes,

Mine is only a slow dial-up phone modem, but for me it downloaded in seconds.

I got blank pages too, when I tried to open the file with Preview (the .pdf program pre-installed on my Mac). Preview has given no problems until now.

My fix was to install the latest free Adobe Reader (v 7) for Macintosh. I still can't open the file directly because all my browsers are still defaulting to Preview. However, I was able to save the article to my desktop and then open, view, and print the saved file using Adobe Reader.

Edited by Brian Humphrey

Thanks Brian

I'm using a Mac and Preview is my default pdf reader too. So it looks as if you have identifed a solution. I'll go and download Acrobat. Its puzzling though, I usa a lot of pdfs and i've not come across this problem before.

All aprt of life's rich tapestry!

Theo

I am not using a Mac, but I am using XP, I could not directly down load the pages, I had to use the right click, and then then 'save target' command; then open them seperately with Acrobat

Dave

Where did it appear? Do you have additional reference information or information about the author that you could post on your site or share with us here?

It appeared in "Amateur Work Illustrated", Volume 3 - Popular Re-issue, by Ward, Lock, Bowden & Co. I can't tell you anything about the author. I picked up Volume 2 at a jumble sale many years ago, and it had a small piece about tuning which was published in The Concertina Newsletter (Free Reed) No. 3 January 1972. This article seems to be an expanded version of that.