Lachenal CA053 Anglo Concertina

Cardiff Pauly

Hi.

I have just acquired a very nice concertina. It’s in a lovely condition and just two notes out (now retuned)!There is a note inside the box which is obviously a formula for dating the instrument as follows: No: 106754 (divided by) 4176, + 1850 (year) = 1876. (year).  Tone is very good and it is a fast action box. I wonder how the formula works, and an estimate of value? Any ideas please?

Edited by Cardiff Pauly

I think that formula is generally regarded as being a little out-of-date?

Somewhere, there is an article from ~2001/2 ,by Wes Williams called Dating your Concertina: A Summary Guide.

The article has a large table giving approximate dates for different manufacturer's models.

I think that will give a slightly different (later) date?

I can't find the article - perhaps one of the historians on this forum will come up with the location.

39 minutes ago, lachenal74693 said:

I can't find the article - perhaps one of the historians on this forum will come up with the location.

The article is here but in the archive.org. I too think the Lachenal formula is outdated. I recommend to post an inquiry to the  "Dating A Lachenal From The Serial Number" thread for more precise information.

Taka

Edited by Takayuki YAGI
typo

On 12/19/2020 at 2:36 PM, Cardiff Pauly said:

I wonder how the formula works .. Any ideas please?

The formula came from Geoff Wooff (still a member here) a long time ago (~35 years!) that was published in a concertina magazine. It was based on what little we knew at the time. Around 20 years ago - so 15 years later - I updated it and the link for that article is above - which gave you a date about 1901. Today we rely on member Dowright who has been collecting numbers and relevant information for 30+ years.  So 1889 is as near as we can be after 40 years of research.