Airy Accordion Reeds

I recently purchased a lovely second hand Saltarelle melodeon and the only flaw is a prob with 2 buttons (F# & C# - needed for irish music which I play) in both push and pull mode. I removed the front grill to see if I could spot valves as per my concertina to see if air could be leaking through bu only saw the pads and levers.

Questions:

How do I get further into the instrument to see reeds/valves? The bellows is secured by pins/rivets?

What else could cause the weak sound?

It might be coincidence, but why the C# and F#, could it be a usage thing ie they were used allot for Irish music and have the reeds have weakend or valves worn ?

I would really welcome any advice or insight

John S.

How do I get further into the instrument to see reeds/valves?  The bellows is secured by pins/rivets?

You have to remove the ends from the bellows in order to access the reeds, they are normally held on by pins, which need to be pulled out with pincers (but make sure you protect the finish of the instrument while you are doing that), and make sure that you put them back into the same holes afterwards.

What else could cause the weak sound?

It could be the "set" of the reed, or a broken reed, or it could even be in the making of the instrument (I'm no fan of Saltarelles).

It might be coincidence, but why the C# and F#, could it be a usage thing ie they were used allot for Irish music and have the reeds have weakend or valves worn ?

I would really welcome any advice or insight

John S.

Hi John

It sounds as if the reedblock for the B row has worked loose, or even been shifted sideways. This is quite common after a trip through a parcel delivery service! I'm assuming since you mention the I word that its a B/C!

Stephen's give you all the info you need to get to the reedblocks. They should be firmly fixed in place.

Theo

"It sounds as if the reedblock for the B row has worked loose, or even been shifted sideways. This is quite common after a trip through a parcel delivery service! I'm assuming since you mention the I word that its a B/C!"

Theo

That sounds very plausible. How would I know if the reedblock had shifted, will it be obvious what the original position was ie markings?

John

Hi John

There should be a screw clamp/clip at one end of each reed block. At the other end there is usually some sort of notch or block, (often with a flatish aluminium piece on newer Italian boxes) that the end of the reedblock slips under. The reedblocks are usually fitted close together, with small wooden blocks at either side to locate them into the correct position.

If a block has shifted you will see some or all of the following:

Reedblocks not parallel to each other and the sides of the box,

small wooden locating blocks missing or loose

ends of reedblock not central under fixing points

reedblocks loose

It should be fairly obvious if the block has moved. What might not be quite so obvious would be if the reedblock was not firmly fixed in place, so check the clamping screws are not loose.

We are getting off-topic here for Concertina.net so feel free to contact me direct.

Theo