the Ampleforth Set

A couple of months ago a melodeon friend on mine had and continues to have some serious medical issues to accommodate.

He is one of these people who you are delighted to know.................and by being with them makes you feel a better person than you probably are !

To cheer him up and as a homage, I recorded these tunes and used my Covid-time to learn a new and very simple video editing programme.

Anthony, an ex-pat Brit like myself living in Southern Ontario, spent some very happy years at school at Ampleforth.

The first two tunes are from the Ampleforth sword dance, so in his honour I named the set  the "Ampleforth set"

It combines a number of my passions...............trad. music., two sorts of concertina and bird photography.

If you make it through to the end, in the very last bar the yellow warbler gives a graphic description of what it think's of my playing............I only noticed it long after the editing was done.

Everything keeps you humble !

Regards all

Robin

Ampleforth set

• Like 3

Thank you, John.....nice of you.

At second 7 in the video  I have named them but they are............

Lyke Wake Dirge

Old Woman of Coverdale

Morpeth Lasses

New Road to Alston.

I did three on EC and one on anglo but I can't remember which at the mo.

Robin

Very nice! I particularly enjoyed the second tune.

I am a bit puzzled about the name of the first tune. It's not the Lyke Wake Dirge I'm familiar with and yet, when I looked on The Session, your version is the only one shown. A similar search on YouTube yields several renditions of the tune I know by that name; for example this one by the Young Tradition.

2 hours ago, Jim Besser said:

I always enjoy playing for Ampleforth, but we use a slightly different set of tunes.

When Cecil Sharp collected the dance 100+ years ago, it had different tunes. It was Sharp who matched the dance to the tunes (which he called “T’Auld Wife of Coverdill” and “Morpeth Lasses”).

Hmmm.............interesting. I too heard the Pentangle version years ago but knew the song tune was different the tune I played.

The fellow I got  it from got it from Dave Shepherd of Blowzabella......he said he would ask Dave.

I'll report back if any more info comes along.

21 hours ago, David Barnert said:

When Cecil Sharp collected the dance 100+ years ago, it had different tunes. It was Sharp who matched the dance to the tunes (which he called “T’Auld Wife of Coverdill” and “Morpeth Lasses”).

YEah, that's what we use.  And I think there's a short segment of a third tune somewhere in there. But we haven't done it in a few years, and memory is fading.

Ah, here's a video of us doing it.  We only dance 1 sword dance each year, and basically practice it on the day of the dance out

Edited by Jim Besser