My Grotesque Avatar

Every so often, someone from this forum asks me about the picture of the concertina-playing beast that is my avatar (here and on youtube, google and soundcloud). It is a “Grotesque” sculpture on the exterior of the “Peace Tower” of the Canadian Parliament in Ottawa. The actual image I use was posted decades ago on the old “rec.music.makers.squeezebox” group, by I don’t remember who. Here’s a couple of images to put it in context.

paix-peace5.jpg?raw=1

Placement.jpg?raw=1

Edited by David Barnert
  • Like 4

Remarkable.  The imp even exhibits a World Class if recognizable concertina face, and playing a Hayden to boot!

Seriously though,  when was this building constructed  and who was the artitect (spelling on purpose), valuable information about the appearance of the concertina in North America perhaps?

35 minutes ago, Jim Besser said:

I stole this back in the. rec.music.makers.squeezebox days and forgot about it.

So did I get it from you? We hadn’t met yet back then. Where did you get it? Or did we both get it when someone else posted it? I apparently downloaded it in 1999.

1 hour ago, wunks said:

Seriously though,  when was this building constructed  and who was the artitect (spelling on purpose), valuable information about the appearance of the concertina in North America perhaps?

See: https://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?/topic/21057-445-hz/&do=findComment&comment=196548

• Like 1

11 hours ago, David Barnert said:

So did I get it from you? We hadn’t met yet back then. Where did you get it? Or did we both get it when someone else posted it? I apparently downloaded it in 1999.

I don't remember, but I think we talked about it when we met at the Squeeze In in 97 or 98.  The year we did a NESI gathering of rec.music.makers.squeezebox participants.