Crabb C/G Anglo 1965. Remarkable scent, & other surprises ..

Notemaker

It is a year and a week since on Ebay I won the auction for my Tina. There have been many, many surprises since. During the auction nobody knew which kind of Crabb was on offer. Nor, until I received it from USPS, did I.

First surprise it turned out to be a C/G Anglo with a broken air valve, a few small leaks, but with fair springs, faded leather valve tongues, and a couple of off tune reeds. All of which expertly repaired by Greg Jowaisas, he is here on Cocertina.net, and in fine playing order when I got it back last spring.

From the very start I noticed a lovely scent coming from the bellows when cycled, but imagined it would in time fade away.

Well it has not. And appears to be as strong as ever when I am carefully practicing, yet if I hurry, it goes away.

My last surprise happened by accident while I attempt to make a 'cut' on a note from a Celtic tune, found in a Book. My Tina began to 'chirp', I know that is not unusual among expert players but I, a mere beginner, am anything but!

I have heard people say that the Concertina is loud, but hey, this one is as sweet. I find it most fills a room with a grand aroma when I am doodling with Morris tunes and chording, a bit like I would on a Harmonica. Really, I am not playing bass parts there, more like the odd chord in spots where I think it nicer.

Lately I wonder if ,in a good sort of way, there is such a thing as 'haunting' of such things? Maybe the last owner - my Tina came from an estate sale - is hanging around a deserving loved box, and sends aromas when its Tina is being good?

Hope you enjoyed my report, and have a wonderful Holiday Season.

Notemaker

s-l160j.jpg

Hi Notemaker,

I love the idea that instruments are somehow living and breathing, with their own characters, especially apt for concertinas. My Crabb that I have just sold was from the late 40s, and it also had what I would describe as a sweet musty scent, which I put down to the old leather on the bellows. I can't remember it being strong enough to fill the room though, or if it improved depending on how well I played! I wonder if this is a function of the type of leather they were using in the post-war period, as the older Lachenals I have owned certainly don't smell as nice!

Paul.

• 1 month later...

Is it a scent of nutmeg by any chance?

I was told that some concertina owners kept a nutmeg in their concertina cases in the belief that it would help the bellows remain supple. When I bought my 40 button wheatstone C/G it had a nutmeg in the case.

Robin

• 3 weeks later...

When I bought my 1971 Wheatstone Anglo about 12 years ago (off ebay) it had a very very strong lemony scent. I don't know if it had been polished with something but it wasn't in particularly good shape. It took a good few years to fade, and even these years on, I will occasionally detect the scent again when playing. It's quite odd.

On 2/16/2021 at 4:03 PM, makeitfolky said:

When I bought my 1971 Wheatstone Anglo about 12 years ago (off ebay) it had a very very strong lemony scent. I don't know if it had been polished with something but it wasn't in particularly good shape. It took a good few years to fade, and even these years on, I will occasionally detect the scent again when playing. It's quite odd.

Lemon oil? - as used on guitar fretboards?