Concertina concerto (in progress)

Pistachio Dreamer

Amongst the various things I dabble with (concertina making etc.) I also compose a little when I have the inspiration to. I've long been interested in adding to the concertina repertoire and think it could hold its own in an orchestral setting, and I know there are some concerti written already. With that in mind about 6 years ago I started sketching for a concertina concerto, and now have a first movement of sorts. If you are interested you can hear it in robot orchestra form here: https://pistachiodreamer.bandcamp.com/ The concertina sound is provided by the midi harmonica patch, which is probably the closest equivalent but I am aware it is a pale comparison to the concertina!

It started with the opening power chords, which sit really well under the C/G anglo fingering. I definitely can't play it all yet, it gets pretty virtuosic towards the end, but is feasible in principal. I belong to a local amateur orchestra, as a cellist, so might try and give it a go in the future. Hopefully by the time I learn it we'll be rehearsing again.

I'm well aware this won't be everyone's cup of tea, I'd describe my style as classical/post minimalist. I sometimes use folk elements, but there's not any folk influence to speak of in this particular piece. I'm interested in writing for different instruments for different movements, e.g. I might write the second movement for a G/D.

I would be interested in any feedback, however critical, and your thoughts on the concertina in an orchestral setting.

There's something magical about the cello and concertina together.  I'm mostly a folksy/dance musician but I had occasion recently to demonstrate my meager duet skills for a top notch professional cellist who happens to be my neighbor.  She was enthralled by the sound and insisted we play and compose together.  I have no classical training but she has me learning the Sarabande from Bach's fourth cello suite in Eminor, what a blast!  Aside from the tone an advantage of the concertina for a player like me is the solid intonation.  You can hit a wrong note but it's hard to hit the right note badly....😊

21 minutes ago, wunks said:

There's something magical about the cello and concertina together.  I'm mostly a folksy/dance musician but I had occasion recently to demonstrate my meager duet skills for a top notch professional cellist who happens to be my neighbor.  She was enthralled by the sound and insisted we play and compose together.  I have no classical training but she has me learning the Sarabande from Bach's fourth cello suite in Eminor, what a blast!  Aside from the tone an advantage of the concertina for a player like me is the solid intonation.  You can hit a wrong note but it's hard to hit the right note badly....😊

I agree with that. I'm sure you and your neighbour make a wonderful duo. I think classical/folk musicians have a lot to offer each other. That is also my favourite Bach suite, if it's the one in Eb major that you meant?! I think your neighbour might have transposed it to a more concertina friendly key perhaps? I would love to hear it on the concertina.

Yes, of course, Eb major 😏  but no, it's not transposed.  I play Jeffries duet and although the fingerings are unique for each key, none seem very difficult.  My Wheatstone JD has a lovely low cello Bflat instead of the usual G which provides the trill at the end of the first part of the Sarabande!  My other box is in old pitch close to a half step sharp so I've suggested Ruth tune down to D ( she has a carbon fiber spare) rather than up to C so we now have a wide range of harmonic and voicing possibilities....😃

• Like 1