Y Gelynnen: duet with myself

Jim Besser

Another quarantine project: learning overdubbing. Currently playing with the web-based Soundtrap, which seems to work OK, except that there is no adjustment to compensate for latency.  It's not a major problem, but it's noticeable. Has anybody on c.net worked with Soundtrap and figured out how to reduce latency?

Tune: Y Gelynnen, a catchy little Welsh tune.

Instruments: Jeffries GD Anglo, Morse CG baritone Anglo.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Jim Besser said:

Has anybody on c.net worked with Soundtrap and figured out how to reduce latency?

I don’t know my way around Soundtrap, but most DAWs allow you to adjust the position of any track to synchronize it with another track. Is that not possible with Soundtrap?

First, lovely tune, Jim.  Sounds beautiful and clear...and synced!

Sorry for not reading your post before mine about Soundtrap.  I searched for "Soundtrap" and didn't find your note.  Anyway, as I have said,  the simplest setup (sans external audio interface) works best, latency-wise, with my laptop.  I seem to recall you are on a Mac; have you tried just plugging any external mic (or even using the built-in) and bypassing the Scarlett?  It made a dramatic difference in my setup.  That might at least help diagnostically with the latency.

And as David B. said, there's a way to drag one clip relative to another, but the business of zooming in and trying to match pictures of waveforms, and then moving "by eye" and "by hand" strikes me as learned skill, and perhaps harder than just playing "together" if the latency goblins can be eliminated.

Nice work, Sir, during this challenging time.

David

6 minutes ago, David Colpitts said:

And as David B. said, there's a way to drag one clip relative to another, but the business of zooming in and trying to match pictures of waveforms, and then moving "by eye" and "by hand" strikes me as learned skill, and perhaps harder than just playing "together" if the latency goblins can be eliminated.

No, you’d have to do something like clap a couple of beats before you start playing on each track. Then line up the claps (should be easy to see in the waveform) and then edit out the introductory footage that contains the claps.