Swapped notes/buttons

As a starting player of the english concertina I discovered that notes / buttons have been switched. The F2 and F # 2 (left) have swapped places. The same for the low B and Bb (right). Very difficult when learning to play the instrument properly. Does anyone recognize this? Factory error? Do I have to open the instrument and change the reeds? (Scary!) Who has good advice?

We need to know a little more about the instrument. Traditional type construction with concertina reeds? German/Italian type construction with accordion reeds? Hybrid construction with accordion reeds? Are you the first owner?

A picture is worth a thousand words.

2 hours ago, Maarten said:

As a starting player of the english concertina I discovered that notes / buttons have been switched. The F2 and F # 2 (left) have swapped places. The same for the low B and Bb (right). Very difficult when learning to play the instrument properly. Does anyone recognize this? Factory error? Do I have to open the instrument and change the reeds? (Scary!) Who has good advice?

it wouldn't make any sense to include both a sharp and a flat note in the middle rows - and even less so, when the swapping isn't repeated in the upper octave(s).

best wishes - 🐺

As it looks like a brand new instrument this must be a factory mistake. As Wolf says, it makes no sense. Can you take it back to from whom you bought it?

Incidentally, when you refer to "F2" I assume you mean the second F up from the bottom. Elsewhere F2 is used to mean the F an octave and a half below middle C (which is C4).

As a matter of interest, you will sometimes find the B and Bb "swapped" on old tenor or bass instruments. These play in a natural key of F and so are referred to as "F tenors" and "F basses". They were built for playing Eb parts from brass band scores (while the normal "C" instruments played the Bb parts).

Does the person you got it from (or do you) have the receipt? There’s no way it’s going to be corrected without taking it apart. If you can’t return it for a correct one, you’ll have to fix it yourself or find someone who can.

[Alex’s similar suggestion appeared as I was writing this.] 

Edited by David Barnert

It was a 'Marktplaats' thing. That's the Dutch Ebay, so to speak.

I think I have to fix it myself.

Unscrew it carefully. I watched some instructional videos.

This concertina has accordion type reeds held in place with wax.   Anyone who does accordion repairs will be able to change the notes round for you.

A few years ago I was contacted by an instrument importer near me.  They had received a large delivery of concertinas with the exact same error in the note layout, which could only have been a factory error.  Yours is almost certainly the same.

• Like 1

I did it anyway 😅 Since pictures often make more sense than words, I have added a few. The reeds seem to be screwed onto small wooden plates. A metal reed (right) and a 'thing next to it' (left). The wooden plate appears to be glued to the air drawer (is this the correct name?). Who can advise me what to do? Is this a common accordion construction?
p.s. The instrument has been reassembled and still works fine. Also the swapped notes......😉

Conc 1.jpg

Conc 2.jpg

Conc 3.jpg

Conc 4.jpg

Conc 5.jpg