Kensington C/G For Sale

Toaster

I have finally decided to sell my Kensington C/G. It deserves to be getting more playing than it is, and I need funds to bankroll another musical purchase. So number 22 is now available. It is the concertina made immediately before the one that Dana still plays himself (see his website kensingtonconcertinas.com).

The concertina is in great condition. I believe I am its third owner, and I would say it has received less than its share of playing hours - the bellows still creak a bit when you first open them. There are no scratches on the ends and the bellows do not even show ‘lap-wear’. All reeds speak quickly and the buttons move freely. It is quite air-tight (Dana provided me with the leather gaskets he began installing between the frames and bellows - this made a noticeable difference to the slight air loss I had previously been experiencing). It comes in a blocked hardcase with the original small tool kit Dana provides with all of his instruments.

Dana offers a free touch-tuning for all of his instruments and this one is still eligible for it at the owner’s shipping.
If I had to say anything is ‘wrong’ with it, I could only point to the tarnishing of the nickel ends. It has never bothered me, but I’m sure it could be polished on a buffing wheel by someone who really likes their instruments to shine!

I am asking 3200USD 3000USD plus shipping and insurance - the buyer’s choice of method. Donation to concertina.net will be made at sale.
Please feel free to ask any questions.

PSX_20201114_202519.jpg

PSX_20201114_202437.jpg

PSX_20201114_202125.jpg

PSX_20201114_195957.jpg

PSX_20201114_201901.jpg

Edited by Toaster
price update
  • Like 1

Hi MandoTwanger - 

it's a modified Jefferies layout with an extra c#. You can see it here: http://www.kensingtonconcertinas.com/standard-layout/

I'd be happy to put up a soundfile - give me to the end of the day to put one together and figure out how to post it. I may PM you to email it direct if I can't manage the posting.

Best - 

Todd

ok, I've put 3 files up on my Google Drive . The video is just running through the buttons and showing the 'hang-test' for air-tightness. The audio is probably not the best. Then there is one audio file of scales, and a second of me playing bits of a tune - the playing is probably not the best! 

Let me know if you have any trouble accessing the files:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/17Feb4uY1551CuoQ_Tv0efBFbA8o4WNVk?usp=sharing

Best - 

Todd

I've just done the math on the US$ to Canadian$ exchange - I had no idea the Canadian dollar was doing so poorly!

Oh well, that just means fewer US dollars will get me what I was looking for in Canadian. So, in the spirit of not trying to claw more than I need (a sentiment Dana puts more eloquently on his website) I am lowering the asking price to 3000 USD. I'd consider that a good deal for an instrument that currently goes for 4000 USD new!

Hope everyone is staying safe - 

Todd

• 3 weeks later...