Homemade Crane!...

RAc

I saw this on Reddit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r7MFgsleaQ&t=0s

It was published yesterday.

A couple of rather nifty ideas for a DIY project. Some crucial elements (such as corner reinforcements splines in the frames) appear to be on the ahead end of the learning curve, but I certainly enjoyed seeing that. I'm still not sure about the missing reed chamber walls, but maybe that just wasn't included in the video.

Way to go!

Edited by RAc

3 hours ago, RAc said:

I saw this on Reddit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r7MFgsleaQ&t=0s

It was published yesterday.

A couple of rather nifty ideas for a DIY project. Some crucial elements (such as corner reinforcements splines in the frames) appear to be on the ahead end of the learning curve, but I certainly enjoyed seeing that. I'm still not sure about the missing reed chamber walls, but maybe that just wasn't included in the video.

Way to go!

Glad you enjoyed it! I was the the creator of the concertina and the video. 

The instrument was designed to be built without proper reedpans, sort of like a Tedrow accordion-reeded concertina, so the reedpan is connected directly to the action board, with slots for the accordion reeds to fit around on the underside, rather than sunken chambers with walls like on a traditionally-reeded concertina. 

• Like 2

On 11/11/2020 at 8:33 PM, charleschar said:

I was the the creator of the concertina and the video. 

Well done! I'm really impressed by people who have the skill, patience and ingenuity to undertake a project like this.

Good selection of notes, too. Better than the standard 42 button arrangement.

9 hours ago, Little John said:

Well done! I'm really impressed by people who have the skill, patience and ingenuity to undertake a project like this.

Good selection of notes, too. Better than the standard 42 button arrangement.

Thank you. I was more partial to natural notes when creating the note layout, as I tend to play in common keys like C and G, though there certainly are instances where it is annoying to not have the 2nd Eb or F# on the left hand and having to play it on the right hand instead. I also borrowed Alex Holden's idea of having some "Anglo-style notes" on the lower C# and Eb buttons, which also play a low A and B respectively depending on the push/pull. May in the future retune the lower C# to a Bb.

10 minutes ago, charleschar said:

I also borrowed Alex Holden's idea of having some "Anglo-style notes" on the lower C# and Eb buttons ...

My idea, actually, but built for me by Alex! I'm pleased to hear of someone taking it up.

11 minutes ago, charleschar said:

... which also play a low A and B respectively depending on the push/pull.

I refrained from making such a suggestion earlier. I wouldn't miss the hit Eb. I would miss the high F#, but to some extent you can compensate for it by having the low B. That allows a full B minor chord (the only chord otherwise missing). It also allows for a first inversion of G major which I use frequently. 

14 minutes ago, charleschar said:

May in the future retune the lower C# to a Bb.

Actually I don't have the C# at all, and I don't miss it. I have B/Bb on my current Holden and on the new one I'll have B/G. All allow for lovely rich chords; best "spread" rather than a simple triad.

16 minutes ago, Little John said:

My idea, actually, but built for me by Alex! I'm pleased to hear of someone taking it up.

I refrained from making such a suggestion earlier. I wouldn't miss the hit Eb. I would miss the high F#, but to some extent you can compensate for it by having the low B. That allows a full B minor chord (the only chord otherwise missing). It also allows for a first inversion of G major which I use frequently. 

Actually I don't have the C# at all, and I don't miss it. I have B/Bb on my current Holden and on the new one I'll have B/G. All allow for lovely rich chords; best "spread" rather than a simple triad.

Well, in that case, thank you for the idea! Yes, I too find the low B to be useful for the same reasons you state, though I do occasionally appreciate the low Eb for B major and maybe the occasional C minor or Eb major. I could definitely see the use of the low G. If you don't mind me asking, what other changes/additions are you planning for your new Crane?

I use the low Eb in just two tunes as the root of an Eb major chord. But it is fairly essential in those two tunes so I wouldn't want to lose it.

Apart from the low G, the two main changes are (1) to add a low A to the RH Eb button and (2) to add a high A button to the LHS. There are also a couple of minor changes relating to the fifth comma mean tone tuning. None of these imply any dissatisfaction with Holden #4; just a change of emphasis from songs to tunes.

2 hours ago, charleschar said:

I do occasionally appreciate the low Eb for B major and maybe the occasional C minor ...

I prefer to use the higher Eb (i.e. Eb4) on the right side for these. Makes the chords a bit more "open" and less "dense".

1 hour ago, Little John said:

I use the low Eb in just two tunes as the root of an Eb major chord. But it is fairly essential in those two tunes so I wouldn't want to lose it.

Apart from the low G, the two main changes are (1) to add a low A to the RH Eb button and (2) to add a high A button to the LHS. There are also a couple of minor changes relating to the fifth comma mean tone tuning. None of these imply any dissatisfaction with Holden #4; just a change of emphasis from songs to tunes.

I prefer to use the higher Eb (i.e. Eb4) on the right side for these. Makes the chords a bit more "open" and less "dense".

I see. Good point about using the high Eb on the right side. Thanks.