Is that a hex-head bolt at the business end?  What is on the underside, a pad?  I see no scarring on the buttons.  I'd love for it to be a #ing device but my money's on the drone lock.....🙂

Edited by wunks
clarity
  • Like 1

I've never seen anything like that. Are the key's glass? this instrument seems to have been seriously messed about with, a shame because it must have been out of the top draw. I agree that it looks like a drone lock of some sort, but the 'bolt' might be a 'handle'.

Dave

No hex bolt, it is a recess that has been pressed into the metal so it perfectly sit in place on top of the glass buttons. The "Dinkie" is a manufactured piece, not a home made modification, fitted so it locates perfectly on either button. 

Good Lord I nearly fell off my chair at the sight of that stamp. I was brought up at 139 Taunton Rd in Ashton-under-Lyne (now part of Greater Manchester) between the late 1950’s and the mid 1970’s. Only very old people used to call that area “Limehurst”.

109 was a corner sweet and cigarette shop throughout that time, and now seems to be a conversion into flats. Perhaps Harold Mellor was working away in the background whilst I bought sweets.

I never even saw a concertina until about 5 years ago. Funny how things go.

Apologies for the ramble.

Tiposx

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wolf Molkentin said:

to my eyes, it would only sit on one button (of the left central row)

The photo may be deceptive but a quick measurement shows the far left button to be a very close match for the radius from screw to "pocket" center to center while the left center button is about half it's width farther out....

6 minutes ago, wunks said:

The photo may be deceptive but a quick measurement shows the far left button to be a very close match for the radius from screw to "pocket" center to center while the left center button is about half it's width farther out....

fair enough - however you seem to share my notion that distances differ to some extent, according to the photo 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wolf Molkentin said:

fair enough - however you seem to share my notion that distances differ to some extent, according to the photo 🙂

Yes indeed and not trying to quibble but I wonder why the pivot would not be set to capture both buttons.  Is there a logical reason to favor one and neglect the other?  The device also looks rather final, once screwed down you'd be stuck with it from beginning to end of tune with no way to release or apply it while playing......sort of like engaging 4 wheel drive instead of the differential lock on my tractor..😜

• Haha 1

A little fun with PhotoShop suggests that although the button on the right is a little further out, the dinkie would be able to cover either of them (you’ll have to take my word for it that the screws on the 3 layers are one above the other—I checked by making each layer invisible one at a time before flattening the image to make the jpeg).

dinkies.jpg?raw=1

I, too, am impressed by the lack of scratches on the domes of the buttons or the surface that surrounds them and wonder if the dinkie was ever actually used.

BTW, are we calling it a “dinkie” because that’s the word that’s stamped on it, or has anyone here ever seen that word used in this context before (I haven’t)?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, inventor said:

Reminds me of the "Bellamoid clip" that Peter Bellamy used to have on his Anglo concertina to hold down a unisonoric drone note. 

Inventor.

Poking around on the internet reveals some old(?) film clips of Peter and his concertina showing a similar looking bit.  All pretty fuzzy that I could find.

On 11/10/2020 at 11:51 PM, chris rowe said:

it appears to be specially made to sit on top of the G & F buttons

Joining in the fun.

I do not understand this.  The picture shows the RHS of an extended treble EC and that dinkie (what the heck is a dinkie?) can cover G and maybe G#.  But why would you want a G# drone?  Maybe G# has been re-pitched to F?

On 11/11/2020 at 11:51 AM, wunks said:

I'd love for it to be a #ing device

I hesitate to ask, but what is a #ing device?

56 minutes ago, Don Taylor said:

I hesitate to ask, but what is a #ing device?

# as in sharp.......Pipe dream, Port key, Unicorn, Jackalope, a denizen of the realm of wishful thinking.  If there were such a wonder I'd have the full chromatic range of the Cello,Viola and Fiddle in my 61/4" JD.......😊

On 11/11/2020 at 4:51 AM, chris rowe said:

Has anyone seen a "Dinkie" pictured on an Edeophone, it appears to be specially made to sit on top of the G & F buttons, the only thing I can think of is that it provides a drone. This is on a 56 button made about 1914

Dinkies were metal hair curlers that were popular in the 1940s - what you have there is a part of one that's been adapted to hold a button down to sound a drone.

The instrument looks pretty customised - with the thumb-strap extension, and the fingerplate around the buttons

Great detective work Steve Chambers.  After seeing your post I searched t'internet for Dinkie Hair Clips and found plenty of photos. The vintage collector  sales blurb says that they were popular in the 1920's to 1940's and I can dimly remember my mum using them in the 1950's

6 hours ago, wunks said:

# as in sharp.......Pipe dream, Port key, Unicorn, Jackalope, a denizen of the realm of wishful thinking.  If there were such a wonder I'd have the full chromatic range of the Cello,Viola and Fiddle in my 61/4" JD.......😊

You just need to play in a room filled with helium. 

• Like 1