Reed Buzz, self-inflicted

Apologies for another reed buzz topic!

So I recently acquired a Lachenal Anglo as my first concertina and I can't put it down! Until now because reed buzz :(
Completely self inflicted though. I opened it up to check the serial number and check a slow reed (which I fixed) but in doing so I seemed to have caused a buzz in my pull F reed on the left hand side.
Its only on the pull, push is fine.

I plan to get a copy of David Elliot's book, as it seems an invaluable resource, but in the mean time wondering if I can get some help here.
Hopefully the mp3 of the reed in question has uploaded correctly. In the clip I play the E on push, followed by buzzing F on pull. I can feel the buzzing resonating through the action so the problem may be there? I had also investigated the action as part of my checks. I have looked at the reed valve, which seems fine, and cleaned/looked at the reed multiple times also.

Thanks in advance and hopefully I can get back to playing The Irish Washerwoman ad nauseum again soon!

buzzingreed.mp3

It sounds like the reed tongue is hitting the side of the reed frame. If you take it out and look through it maybe you'll see the tongue is a bit skewed and out of alignment, or maybe even hits the side if you push on the tongue. It's possible to use a thin brass shim to give it a very wee shove to get it back in alignment, but "very carefully" is the operative word here - it usually doesn't take much at all.

Gary

Are you 'the' gcoover? Your books and videos have also been invaluable so thanks for those and the reply. I have sealed it up for the night but I will do that tomorrow and report back! I have taken a look at the reeds previously having thought the tongue was hitting the frame, but will look again under better light.

So Andersm,  if you have  recently aquired your  lachenal  perhaps  it  has  come  from  somewhere  with  a  different  climate.  I  suggest this  because  that  sound can  equally  be  made  by having the reed frame too  tightly  gripped  by the  wood  of  the  reedpan .  The first  thing I  would  do  is  to  take out the  reed  and  see if  it  is  too tight or too loose  in  its  slot.  Both  cases  will  cause  rattlings  or  buzzes.

Edited by Geoff Wooff
  • Like 1

So its open again, reed is clear, no dirt. Aligned properly too. Valve is fine.
I think the issue is the frame not being tight enough in the dovetail though. this reed is significantly easier to remove than the other (even the reed I had initially checked when embarking on this adventure).

I'm going to try some very light tapping with a small hammer to see if I can get a better fit but am quite cautious so any frther suggestions welcome.

UPDATE: addition of a paper shim means the frame is firmly seated in the dovetail. Buzzing it still there but its now a more consistent volume so possibly one problem fixed

Edited by andersm

Please don't tap it with a hammer, even if its a small hammer.  If the reed is loose in it's slot you need to introduce a paper shim between one edge of the reed frame and the edge of the slot.

A  very  thin  piece of  paper  added to  the side of the reed  or the tapered slot  should  be  enough  to get a tighter fit  for  your  reed shoe.  I  use  cigarette  papers   from  which  you can cut  a   strip  of  the  gummed  edge  and  stick  that  to  the  wood.   

Agree  with  Theo, use  no  hammer !!

Edited by Geoff Wooff

Paper shim has been introduced, and no hammer was used so no worries there, but needs some adjustment still

UPDATE: ok so buzzing has been significantly reduced, and by some continuous, loud playing reduced further, I'm going to leave it sealed for the day or so and see if it improves more. There's just the faintest buzz towards the end of the pull. Thanks for all your help and advice and hopefully I wont have to update this thread again!

Edited by andersm

• 2 weeks later...