Aeola Wheatstone Extended Treble Input Sought

Opinions sought:

I have an Aeola Extendef Treble exactly like the one being discussed in buy and sale that I got through CNET an excellent price from a non concertina person who was selling her Mother’s concertina.  The serial # plate was gone and nothing inside. Her Mother had it service by the Button Box  who dated it as 1950’ish.  6 fold bellows.  How would you all categorize it (the model a d era) being low, medium or high quality.    I know a lot of you know a lot about productions the quality of instrument during particular times/dates and would be interested in hearing from you.

Thank you

Stephen

0DA7C335-24B8-4590-BA91-5C1E425E6EE5.jpeg

B5B0CE87-C881-463F-B2B2-EB2F229A6EDF.jpeg

FEFCC409-ADBB-4C32-BDD3-46232703F999.jpeg

It  should  be possible  to  find  a serial number  somewhere  in your  Aeola.  Sometimes  stamped  into the underside  of  the  fretted  ends  or  on the  framework   of the  ends  between the upper  part ( fretted  end)  and the lower  part ( pallet  board)  , sandwiched  between  the  two  sections.

The  wood  of the    reed pan  in your  photo  and the  'fit'  of  the reeds  both look    good, so  perhaps  the  generally  poor  1950's  (  export or die)  quality  was  not  so  evident  in the  Aeolas  sent  to  the USA  than in the  Anglos  sent to  South Africa  during that period.

Edited by Geoff Wooff

Steve there is also the number 6 stamped on the left reed pan.   With a categorize a Aeola as a 1E.  What do you mean work back as I move to the right of the number six I already see a serial number of 36132??Thank you this group is always so helpful and interesting

18CC13B0-BC9B-420C-A77E-B9D432F4BA6E.jpeg

Edited by StephenTx

2 hours ago, SteveS said:

The number 6 stamped into the reed pan is a workshop number - it may be possible to work back from there in the ledgers to determine the serial number.

Could this be your 'tina?

http://www.horniman.info/DKNSARC/SD03/PAGES/D3P0740S.HTM

1E is not an Aeola.  48 key Aeola is 4E, 56 key is 5E

9 hours ago, Geoff Wooff said:

It  should  be possible  to  find  a serial number  somewhere  in your  Aeola.  Sometimes  stamped  into the underside  of  the  fretted  ends  or  on the  framework   of the  ends  between the upper  part ( fretted  end)  and the lower  part ( pallet  board)  , sandwiched  between  the  two  sections.

The  wood  of the    reed pan  in your  photo  and the  'fit'  of  the reeds  both look    good, so  perhaps  the  generally  poor  1950's  (  export or die)  quality  was  not  so  evident  in the  Aeolas  sent  to  the USA  than in the  Anglos  sent to  South Africa  during that period.

GeoI have taken it apart and looked all around and could not find it I don’t think the button box was able to find it either when the lady who ultimately got it from had it serviced by them.ff I have taken it apart and looked all around and could not find it I don’t think the button box was able to find it either when the lady who ultimately got it from had it serviced by them.

9 hours ago, Geoff Wooff said:

I just found a note that the button box says that they felt it was made after 1957 from your note is your experience that the 50’s Aeolas were sub par?  Why? I was also puzzled by your comment about South Africa don’t you live in France?

10 hours ago, StephenTx said:

I just found a note that the button box says that they felt it was made after 1957 from your note is your experience that the 50’s Aeolas were sub par?  Why? I was also puzzled by your comment about South Africa don’t you live in France?

Stephen, there  are  good ,  better  and best  periods  of  Wheatstone's production .  These  variations  can  be  seen  to  relate  to  economic  and  wartime  periods  , though  there are  always  exceptions  and  the  actual  physical  condition of  a particular  concertina  is   usually more important  than the  general    period  variations in quality.  Most Wheatstones  prior  to the  mid  '30's  do  not  suffer  from  cost  cutting measures  although,I  think, there was a poor period  towards the  end of  WWI  which  probably relates to  availability of  skilled  workers  and  shortages of  good materials.  After  the  popularity  boom of the  Accordion  in the 1930's and the  closure of  the   Lachenal  factory,  quality  of  the  Wheatstone  concertina  diminishes  somewhat  but  certain  of  their  best  models  are  still very fine instruments.  1950's  EC's    are often made with  cheaper materials  and  easier production methods  especially  after  being taken over by  Boosey & Hawkes.

The  1950's Anglo  production, of  which I  got to  examine and  repair  many  examples   that  had  been  originally  exported   to  South Africa     and  were  imported into  Ireland (  where I  lived  for  many  years) to  fill a  demand  there in the 1990's,  were mostly  of   poor  quality  in regard to  materials, with  consequences  for  sound and playability.

Edited by Geoff Wooff

On 11/10/2020 at 3:21 PM, Geoff Wooff said:

Stephen, there  are  good ,  better  and best  periods  of  Wheatstone's production .  These  variations  can  be  seen  to  relate  to  economic  and  wartime  periods  , though  there are  always  exceptions  and  the  actual  physical  condition of  a particular  concertina  is   usually more important  than the  general    period  variations in quality.  Most Wheatstones  prior  to the  mid  '30's  do  not  suffer  from  cost  cutting measures  although,I  think, there was a poor period  towards the  end of  WWI  which  probably relates to  availability of  skilled  workers  and  shortages of  good materials.  After  the  popularity  boom of the  Accordion  in the 1930's and the  closure of  the   Lachenal  factory,  quality  of  the  Wheatstone  concertina  diminishes  somewhat  but  certain  of  their  best  models  are  still very fine instruments.  1950's  EC's    are often made with  cheaper materials  and  easier production methods  especially  after  being taken over by  Boosey & Hawkes.

The  1950's Anglo  production, of  which I  got to  examine and  repair  many  examples   that  had  been  originally  exported   to  South Africa     and  were  imported into  Ireland (  where I  lived  for  many  years) to  fill a  demand  there in the 1990's,  were mostly  of   poor  quality  in regard to  materials, with  consequences  for  sound and playability.

Geoff I don’t know if I think you for providing all this information as I haven’t been on for a day or so but thank you I’ve looked all over and I still can’t find your eyes such a wealth of knowledge. Much appreciated

On 11/11/2020 at 2:11 PM, d.elliott said:

photographs of the chamber side of the reedpan near the stampings might help, also of the stampings on the inner face of the bellows frame

Dave

Dave,  Wow to heard from the Dave E.   I’ll take care of ice and take her apart again and check much appreciated for your suggestions

stephen