Jump to content

Hello from Barleycorn


Recommended Posts

Hello everyone,

 I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this so I apologise if it isn't!

I'm Ciaran and most of you will know my dad, Chris. I'm currently going through a full concertina education and have found browsing this forum incredibly useful as a resource- what an amazing thing this website is, with so many incredibly knowledgeable people to learn from!

 I won't be using these forums to advertise Barleycorn at all, but if anybody ever needs to get in touch then my messages are always open.

 

I look forward to carry on engaging with the forum, and to keep learning!

 

 

Edited by Ciaran Algar
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ciaran,

 

Welcome! General messages about your business from time to time are fine - we've had them over recent years from other makers/dealers (I think of Edgley, the late Rich Morse, Bob Tedrow, Wim Wakker, various repairers in North America, the UK, and Europe). And several makers and repairers often talk shop here. And of course if you ever _do_ want to advertise, talk to the master, Paul Schwartz - his rates are very reasonable, and it helps pay for the server space.  :)

 

Ken

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Ciaran,

 

it's wonderful to know that Barleycorn goes into the second generation. I bought two concertinas from Chris, and each time the experience was impeccable, very enjoyable and at the heart of what folk is all about. I also met with him in 2014 on my way back to Sidmouth, and we had a nice afternoon talking about concertinas. He also pointed me to your impressive musical work (a *very* proud dad!).

 

All the best for Barleycorn! Ruediger

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Welcome to the forum Ciaran.

 

I got my 50(!) key Wheatstone EC  from your Dad a couple of years ago and really enjoyed my morning playing loads of boxes before deciding on the perfect one. Great to see Barleycorn continuing and, when we’re all allowed out again, hope to see you at a festival sometime.

 

Don't worry about putting the occasional general message about the business up, it’s a good way to keep the community informed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/1/2020 at 2:43 PM, John Wild said:

Welcome Ciaran. Now I know how to spell your name.🙂

As a recent customer I had some update on what you were doing.

Best wishes for the future.

 

John Wild.

 Thanks John- it's a bit of a difficult one in these parts, I'm more used to it being spelt wrong anyway! Thank you for the kind message 🙂

On 11/1/2020 at 3:40 PM, Jim Besser said:

I bought my Jeffries GD from Barleycorn.  It was a sight-unseen purchase, and the instrument is everything I hoped for. So from my vantage point Barleycorn is an invaluable resource for the concertina community.

 

I'm really glad to hear you got the concertina you were looking for- I hope you're enjoying it regularly! 

On 11/1/2020 at 3:55 PM, Mike Acott said:

The best of wishes for the future , if you need any help from me you  know the number.

Mike

Thanks so much Mike, you're a lovely man! I still need to come and visit the workshop when times are bit more ordinary! Thank you mate.

On 11/1/2020 at 5:50 PM, Ken_Coles said:

Ciaran,

 

Welcome! General messages about your business from time to time are fine - we've had them over recent years from other makers/dealers (I think of Edgley, the late Rich Morse, Bob Tedrow, Wim Wakker, various repairers in North America, the UK, and Europe). And several makers and repairers often talk shop here. And of course if you ever _do_ want to advertise, talk to the master, Paul Schwartz - his rates are very reasonable, and it helps pay for the server space.  :)

 

Ken

Hi Ken, that's good to know- thank you! If I ever did post about the business it'd be about something significant as opposed to listing every individual instrument that comes in (unless it's a complete rarity!). Thanks very much 🙂

23 hours ago, RAc said:

Hi Ciaran,

 

it's wonderful to know that Barleycorn goes into the second generation. I bought two concertinas from Chris, and each time the experience was impeccable, very enjoyable and at the heart of what folk is all about. I also met with him in 2014 on my way back to Sidmouth, and we had a nice afternoon talking about concertinas. He also pointed me to your impressive musical work (a *very* proud dad!).

 

All the best for Barleycorn! Ruediger

 

It feels great to be a part of the business (at last!). Rather than sitting around listening to Dad tune all day, I get to join in and annoy my mum even more! I'm really glad you've had good experiences with us- here's to many more 😉 Thanks Ruediger!

54 minutes ago, Steve Mansfield said:

Welcome to the forum Ciaran.

 

I got my 50(!) key Wheatstone EC  from your Dad a couple of years ago and really enjoyed my morning playing loads of boxes before deciding on the perfect one. Great to see Barleycorn continuing and, when we’re all allowed out again, hope to see you at a festival sometime.

 

Don't worry about putting the occasional general message about the business up, it’s a good way to keep the community informed.

A morning playing them can easily turn into a full day- I've seen it happen! Glad you found the right instrument for you- we're itching to get to festivals again so lets hope next year can be a bit more normal!

 

All the best!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Ciaran,

 

Glad to see you on board here. Like many others, I know your Dad and have bought several instruments from him over the years and also recommended him to my friends too.

 

Are you going to be taking over the business? Last time I was over to see Chris about three years ago, he was on about retiring...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello Ciaran,

 

Great to read your posts.  Very best wishes to you on joining the family firm.

A visit to Chris at Barleycorn is always a real treat, and owning and playing his wonderful concertinas gives me such pleasure.

And of course I recommend Barleycorn Concertinas totally - no question.

 

And can I add, you bring such experience and accomplishment as a brilliant professional musician to the firm.  Your dad is lucky to get you - and then he is a fine musician and songwriter too.........

 

Again, very best wishes, Steve (Sidmouth)

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...