Jeffries, Crabb, Jones, Lachenal, Koot Brits Anglo Concertinas for sale

Alex West

• 1 month later...

Hello Alex,

I'm looking to get a C/G Anglo but I'm also interested in the Lach Duet that you mention here, and several others as well.  Just wondering about prices. I have leave to acquire a new box but I'm not handy, so I want one in good nick.

And the Crabb in old pitch - have you restored it (or will you) and is it playable? I've been looking to find a Sally Anne box in old pitch that doesn't cost the moon.

These ones are also possibly suitable:

Lachenal 31 key C/G Steel reeds, fancy fretwork

·      Lachenal 33 key C/G Steel reeds, fancy fretwork

·      J Crabb 30 key Bb/F, very fancy wooden ends – very nice, old pitch Not restored yet so choice of level of restoration/tuning

C Jeffries 27 key Ab/Eb, metal ends, metal buttons ¼ comma meantone

·      C Jeffries 30 key C/G, metal ends, bone buttons

·      Crabb 27 key C/G, wooden ends, bone buttons

·      C Jeffries 39 key C/G, bone buttons

I understand if you'd rather discuss prices privately.  I'm reachable at daniel.oleary@concordia.ca.

All the best,

Daniel

Sure Bill

It's a 39 key Jeffries pattern instrument in concert pitch and equal temperament, which I got from the late Paul Davies, rebuilt by me and tuned by Colin Dipper.  Send me your email address via a Private message and I'll send you some pictures, a key map and a bit more detail

Alex West

I've now sold the 33 key Lachenal and made the usual donation to cnet - Thanks for this site Paul.

There's interest in some of the others, but nothing confirmed yet so by all means get in touch.  I also have a couple of 20 key Lachenals which are nearly ready to ship - just awaiting new papers

Alex West

Keith, 

Sorry to not reply earlier but I seemed to be having some problems with my computer or the site or both.

I’m not a dealer and don’t run a shop. I play concertina and restore instruments as a hobby to get them back into playing condition.

If you’re interested to know more about any of the instruments here, let me know your email address - via private message to be more secure - and I’ll happily send you more information, pictures and let you know what sort of price I’d like to get for it

Alex West

• Like 1

For what it's worth, my correspondence with Alex has been cordial and yet professional, always transparent on his part. I, on the other hand, have been a typical, non-committal, prospective buyer, looking for the best deal. He has listed a treasure trove of fine instruments dating back to the 1870s, for sale, at a reasonable price. Any brick & mortar shop would charge significantly more, sometimes double, for a comparable instrument. 

As a prospective beginner, prices are important to know, why so secretive?’

-Excellent question Keith, lots of answers to that one, political, social, cultural, historic, commercial...

The problem is though, that if you ask this in a thread belonging to one individual in the commercial section then it can get very partisan and confusing.

The thing to do is ask the question as a thread in the General Concertina Discussion section where the different individual authorities on the subject may, or may not share information. 

Edited by simon ds

Yes, it's still available and I can send more information and pictures to your email address if you send me a PM.

My best guess as to age is around 1880-1890.  It has mahogany action boards and bone buttons

Alex West

Le 27/10/2020 à 11:25, Alex West a déclaré:

Grâce au coronavirus, j'ai terminé un certain nombre de projets qui sont restés trop longtemps assis sur le banc et qui recherchent maintenant une nouvelle maison.

Au cours des prochains mois, je cherche à les vendre et je voudrais d'abord les offrir ici avec le don habituel à Paul pour le site Web. Tous les Anglos sauf un; tous les décomptes de boutons liés à la clé à air, tous à tempérage égal A = 440, sauf indication contraire

Voici ce qui s'en vient; faites-moi savoir si quelque chose vous intéresse et je peux vous en dire plus, vous envoyer des photos et nous pourrons parler des prix. 

·      Anches Lachenal 31 clés C / G laiton, chantournage simple

·      Anches en acier Lachenal 31 clés C / G, chantournage fantaisie

·      Anches en acier Lachenal 33 clés C / G, chantournage fantaisie

·      J Crabb 30 touches Sib / Fa, extrémités en bois très fantaisie - très beau, pas ancien Pas encore restauré donc choix du niveau de restauration / réglage

·      G Jones 32 key Actuellement en B / F # mais pourrait facilement passer en C / G ou Bb / F en hauteur moderne - beau joueur Maintenant pris

·      Koot Brits 41 touche G / D

·      Lachenal Nouveau modèle 62 touche MacCann Duet

·      Shakespeare 39 touche si bémol / fa

·      C Jeffries 27 touches Ab / Eb, extrémités métalliques, boutons métalliques ¼ virgule moyenne tonalité

·      C Jeffries 30 touches C / G, extrémités métalliques, boutons en os

·      Crabb 27 clé C / G, extrémités en bois, boutons en os

·      C Jeffries 39 touches C / G, boutons en os

·      C Jeffries 39 touches C / G, boutons métalliques à l'origine construits et réglés pour un joueur semi-professionnel par Colin Dipper. Déjà pris

Alex West

• 1 month later...

Hello Alex,

I've only just come across this forum so any queries may be out of date, however, if still available

I may well be interested in the Jeffries Ab/Eb concertina listed. 

A main interest is Scottish 'pipe tunes, nominally Bb, so this key combination is ideal. Does the instrument have a 'drone' button ? I would be looking for Bb.

I would be obliged to receive this and any other details.

A' the best,

George

George

Yes, the Ab/Eb is still available.  I've attached a file with some more information and pictures and if you send me a PM with your email address, we can talk further.

There's no drone under the left thumb with a 27 key instrument, and even if there was, it would typically be Ab/Ab.  It would be possible to swap a couple of reeds around to get a Bb drone under the left little finger, or there's space to add an extra button and a couple of reeds to get a drone but that's a job for one of the makers I'd suggest

Alex West

C Jeffries AbEb.docx

• Like 1