Ebay/paypal Scam

Mark Evans

Throwing out an alarm! Recieved two emails from I believe scammers trying to pass themselves off as Ebay and Paypal customer services. I was warned that a "Foriegn IP" had been attempting to access my acounts and that I must reenter my credit/debit information or these accounts would be suspended. Shove it where the sun don't shine was my response.

The same scam was attempted with Citibank cardholders just three months ago. The graphics look like the real thing. Beware!

In Citibanks case they contacted me by email warning me of this scam. I had already smelled the rotten fish.

How does one report this to ebay?

Thank you Stephen and Greg. It is now in fact spoof@ebay.com. They responded right away and it has been reported to authorities. The PayPal scammers have just sent another one.

All I ever did with this account was to buy a double bass for my son....which he lost interest in! :angry:

Yesterday I recieved this from an address with a "paypal.com" domain:

You have added watchbuyer55@aol.com as a new email address for your
PayPal account.

If you did not authorize this change or if you need assistance with
your account, please contact PayPal customer service at:

https://www.paypal.com/row/wf/f=ap_email

Thank you for using PayPal!
The PayPal Team

Please do not reply to this e-mail. Mail sent to this address cannot be
answered. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account and choose the
"Help" link in the header of any page.

----------------------------------------------------------------
                   PROTECT YOUR PASSWORD

NEVER give your password to anyone and ONLY log in at
https://www.paypal.com/. Protect yourself against fraudulent websites
by opening a new web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer or Netscape) and typing
in the PayPal URL every time you log in to your account.

----------------------------------------------------------------    

PayPal Email ID PP007

Since the page it directed me to was part of paypal.com, I trusted it and logged in (using my password) and sent a message stating that I had authorized no such thing. Did I just give my password tp a phisher, or did I assue correctly that the mail I got was legitimate?

David, the two PayPal scams I recieved were similar and it was addressed by my work email not to me personally. Change your password man! Fast!

I forwarded it all to spoof@Ebay.com and they got back in touch right away confirming that is was in fact a scam.

Edited by Mark Evans

Since the page it directed me to was part of paypal.com, I trusted it and logged in (using my password) and sent a message stating that I had authorized no such thing. Did I just give my password tp a phisher, or did I assue correctly that the mail I got was legitimate?

That depends how you got to paypal.com.

If you typed www.paypal.com into the address bar of your browser you are ok because you have gone to the real paypal.

If you clicked on the link in the email you are in trouble because although it appears to be a link to part of the paypal site, its almost certainly a link to a fake version.

The scammers use various tricks to make links look legit. One of the simplest is to use a an image of the link text, with their own link attached to it. You can read about the tricks the spam/spoofers get up to on some of the anti-virus company websites. Yesterday I found a detailed description on sophos.com but the page is eluding me today.

Theo

I have done several things since my last post:

I changed my password.

I ascertained that there has been no activity on my paypal account (in months!).

I convinced myself (by poking around my account) that an intruder with my password would have no access to credit card or bank account numbers, although they might have been able to charge something to my credit card (but didn't).

I forwarded the above quoted e-mail to spoof@paypal.com, and their response confirmed that neither the message nor the site it sent me to were legitimate.

Thank you all for your help.

That depends how you got to paypal.com.

If you typed www.paypal.com into the address bar of your browser you are ok because you have gone to the real paypal.

Can I just emphasise what Theo says here. NEVER click on any of these links in emails. Its even possible for a scammer to make it look like you've gone to a particular site in Internet Explorer - say www.ebay.com - which will appear in your browser address bar, when you are actually somewhere else!

They don't give up folks. Just recieved #5 informing me that since I did not re-register my account information that the account will be suspended for 3 days.

I so want to respond with the language I am only allowed to use around bluegrassers. Get a "bleepin" job man and leave me the "bleep" alone! :angry:

Instead I just forward to Ebay.

My latest eBay scam was someone emailed me with an eBay forwarding system. They claimed that I had stolen their identity, and if it wasn't me that someone had also stolen mine. They suggested that I check that my account had not been compromised. They gave me a offical looking respond back button. After reporting the email to eBay, they confirmed to me that the email had a key stroke virus. Interesting way to get passwords.

This is about the tenth "phisher" I've had in about a week and a half. Kind of makes me sick of using eBay.

Kimberly

Edited by kiminca

My latest eBay scam was someone emailed me with an eBay forwarding system.  They claimed that I had stolen their identity, and if it wasn't me that someone had also stolen mine.  They suggested that I check that my account had not been compromised.  They gave me a offical looking respond back button.  After reporting the email to eBay, they confirmed to me that the email had a key stroke virus.  Interesting way to get passwords.

This is about the tenth "phisher"  I've had in about a week and a half.  Kind of makes me sick of using eBay.

Kimberly

And also makes me glad I have never used it. At the rate that you folks are reporting these incedents, the whole thing will soon grind to a halt..

Derek

This is about the tenth "phisher"  I've had in about a week and a half.  Kind of makes me sick of using eBay.

And also makes me glad I have never used it.

How do you know they're getting the email addresses from eBay? (If they are able to do that, we should worry!) I get various things like that referring to "identities" on services I've never used. It's much easier to send a phishing email to everybody, and let those who have accounts on eBay, PayPal, or whatever assume that the phisher knows this, while the other recipients will simply dismiss the "mistake".

At the rate that you folks are reporting these incedents, the whole thing will soon grind to a halt..

Hope springs eternal. B)

And also makes me glad I have never used it.

How do you know they're getting the email addresses from eBay? (If they are able to do that, we should worry!) I get various things like that referring to "identities" on services I've never used. It's much easier to send a phishing email to everybody, and let those who have accounts on eBay, PayPal, or whatever assume that the phisher knows this, while the other recipients will simply dismiss the "mistake".

Just to confirm Jim's message: my wife is a very active e-Bay user and during the last year she received only one mail from "e-Bay" with the request to re-enter her user_id and password.

When she started surfing on the internet I gave her very clear instructions on how to behave in this digital "Wild West". As a result she did not receive any spam, scam or "phisers" up till now, except for this "e-Bay" mail.

So I think in general that receiving spam, "phisers" etc. etc. is (at least) partly the result of your own behaviour on internet.