Sign in to follow this  
wunks

reed steel

A friend of a friend visiting from Louisiana inquired about availability of old hay tongs or grapples as the best acoustical steel for making musical triangles.  Living in a rural area as I do I come across these frequently.  I presume these are cast steel as apposed to cast iron although my knowledge of metallurgy is limited.  Would they have acoustic value as reed making stock as well?

The very old stuff might might have been made by a blacksmith from wrought iron. Just a guess. I don't know about the musical properties of that material though.

• Like 1

It would be about the most difficult stock to work with even if it was an appropriate alloy.  Ordinary 1095 spring temper steel ( 0.95% carbon steel ) is readily available in sheet form which makes perfectly good reeds. The blue temper is a little softer than ideal, but it doesn’t affect the sound, only the resistance to changing its set after initial tuning.  Reed steel for accordions etc. is tempered a little harder.  I haven’t used it, but supposedly old clock springs are a little harder temper of that alloy, but it might be worth it for making a replacement reed, but not for making whole reed sets..

Dana

• Like 1