Mr DoN Nichols....

Sergio

Hi Folks, just wondering if anybody knows if Don Nichols is still kicking around?

I remember 20+ years ago, emailing him about concertina related things, and have always wondered of his whereabouts?

Hope he's keeping well enough?

I was wondering about him, myself, recently. He was always very active on the USENET group, rec.music.makers.squeezebox, but when the concertina action migrated over to here, he never followed, as if he had an almost religious objection to web-based discussion groups.

Here’s his web page. It doesn’t look like it’s been attended to in over 10 years. There’s a reference to Netscape (as if it was current), which hasn’t existed since 2008. His registry of stolen concertinas was last updated in 2009.

He had to miss NESI starting in 2001 IIRC. For some years after that he lent his bass English (to Rachel Hall) for the concertina band, and it seems to me the last time I recall it being there was more recent than 2009. But my recollection is hazy at best. Rachel Hall might know more.

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

I've had no contact with DoN for many years. A great shame as he is a real gentleman. We stayed with them for a few days long, long ago. You're right about his suspicion of forum software.

His web site was hosted on his own home server. If that's still true then the fact that his page is still available is a good sign that he is still alive and kicking.

Chris

Edited by Chris Timson
  • Like 1

I checked with current ICA committee members. Don is still listed as a member and issues of Concertina World are still being sent.

However, there has been no direct contact with him in recent years. A recent email enquiry was undelivered.

That is as much as I can add.

I created it but DoN hosted it and the associated mailing list. Access to servers was much more difficult in those days so DoN's help and support back then was invaluable and it was in gratitude for that that the committee made him an honorary life member.

Chris

The ICA membership secretary has been in contact with Don, and reports that all is well.

The website and email address are unchanged.

However, to quote from Don's own reply " a growing number of ISPs don't want to admit that my
e-mail server (a private one) is valid. Mails to it are not sent, and mails from me are not accepted."

If contact by email or throught the website fail, then it would seem you have to resort to snail-mail.

• Like 1