Dave Coffin This is what I want to be able to do

StephenTx

6 hours ago, StephenTx said:

I have books on music theory but somehow it doesn’t sink in

Take a look at the University of Edinburgh's free online course on music theory:

https://www.coursera.org/learn/edinburgh-music-theory

I took this course when it first ran and really enjoyed it.  But, it is hard work and really picks up towards the end.   You need to keep up with the homework, you cannot just 'wing' this course.  I actually took the course twice over and got a lot more out of it the second time around.  Some of the the teachers are great, but some of them are rather full of themselves - it is a real university after all!

2 hours ago, Don Taylor said:

Take a look at the University of Edinburgh's free online course on music theory:

I took this course when it first ran and really enjoyed it.  But, it is hard work and really picks up towards the end.   You need to keep up with the homework, you cannot just 'wing' this course.  I actually took the course twice over and got a lot more out of it the second time around.  Some of the the teachers are great, but some of them are rather full of themselves - it is a real university after all!

Thank you assum it is in English

4 minutes ago, StephenTx said:

Thank you assum it is in English

Yes, it is in English.  Some of lecturers do have Scottish accents but, IIRC, rather refined Edinburgh accents rather than strong Glaswegian accents.  Not a problem.

On 10/6/2020 at 4:09 PM, Don Taylor said:

Thanks for this, Don. Just for the hell of it, I’ve started taking this course, as well. I did the first two weeks worth of material today. I’m enjoying it, although I haven’t gotten to the interesting stuff yet. However, I did learn something I didn’t know (and, in fact, had been wondering about). For years I wondered when musical thinking evolved from thinking about how melodic lines interact with each other (horizontal thinking) to how chords work (vertical thinking) and I came across the statement that Rameau first wrote about chords in his 1722 Treatise on Harmony.