Let me know your experience with this vendor!

Hey! I am in the research-to-buy stage and I was wondering if anyone had any experience purchasing from Libertybellows.com. If so, mind sharing your experience with me? I would love to know how it went. Either here or feel free to DM me. I search the forum but didn’t find any specific information about folks experiences, just a few listings. Thanks! 

Liberty Bellows in Philadelphia is primarily an accordion dealer, and in that capacity they have an excellent reputation. As far as concertinas go, I believe they handle mostly entry level instruments - mostly Stagis.  For that type of instrument, I'd be more inclined to buy from the Button Box (buttonbox.com) because they make sure these cheaper instruments are as good as possible; I do not know what Liberty does.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Jim Besser said:

Liberty Bellows in Philadelphia is primarily an accordion dealer, and in that capacity they have an excellent reputation. As far as concertinas go, I believe they handle mostly entry level instruments - mostly Stagis.  For that type of instrument, I'd be more inclined to buy from the Button Box (buttonbox.com) because they make sure these cheaper instruments are as good as possible; I do not know what Liberty does.

Thank you so much for this info. 

I  assume you are looking at a Stagi with this vendor.  My first concertina was a Stagi and it was ok.  Their prices seem fair.  If they are selling stock on hand that can be an advantage.  As a repair and sales shop they should be able to deal with problems if your instrument is damaged in shipping.   My first Stagi came with  reed likely knocked out of place in shipping.  It was  from a mail order guitar shop. Yes, you read that right.  It was pre-internet and purchased over the phone from pictures in a paper catalogue.  But I digress. It ended up needing to go back and forth somewhere since no one there knew how to fix it at their shop.  I think they actually sent it back to Italy.  The older Stagi's were decent starter instruments.  I have no idea how they are anymore. 

Maybe you could put out a call here for any Philadelphia players.  If they're close by maybe someone could give a Stagi a try for you.  The concertina world is very small and for the most part, very kind. 

The current price on a Button Box Stagi reflects the fact that they take it apart and make sure of tuning and function.  I'd ask LIberty Bellows what they do to check and make sure their instruments are set up properly.  

You are definitely going to be better off with an accordion store than with a massive mail order concern if they stand by their instruments.