What size/model ?

Hi,I have been playing the accordion for a long time. I would like to try learning the concertina but as you all know there are so many styles with so many different numbers  of buttons.  I did some reading and at this point I think the English concertina might be the best model for me. But then there is the difference in number of buttons. On the accordion I play  the  size with the most bass notes and piano keys. If anyone can suggest the best style in terms of buttons and type of concertina for a beginner that will be very helpful. I thought the English might be best as it seems to be the easiest to start making melodies.

Edited by Yiddishalan

The standard, in my estimation, is a 48 button treble. 

i’d start there and see where it takes you. 

or as an accomplished accordion player. And are already used to it. If you are looking to do chords on the left and melody with the right, maybe a duet?

Take a drive over to the Button Box (about an hour and a half drive). Call or email them first, as I’m not sure how the COVID situation is affecting their business hours and whether they allow walk-ins. See what they have in terms of used instruments or the R. Morse line they make themselves (very highly regarded). Also look at the Concertina Connection site. Depending on how much you’re thinking of paying, there’s a wide range of what either source would have available. I would stay away from any source but those two for inexpensive instruments.

David.

I don’t think we know where Yiddish is from..

but for reference.. I was at BB not too long ago, he fixed an issue with my Wheatstone. He had several really nice ECs there. I REALLY liked the 3E and the New model he had there.

if I can sell my Norman Anglo, I may pick one up as a back up wood ended EC..

On 9/26/2020 at 1:24 PM, David Barnert said:

Take a drive over to the Button Box (about an hour and a half drive). Call or email them first, as I’m not sure how the COVID situation is affecting their business hours and whether they allow walk-ins. See what they have in terms of used instruments or the R. Morse line they make themselves (very highly regarded). Also look at the Concertina Connection site. Depending on how much you’re thinking of paying, there’s a wide range of what either source would have available. I would stay away from any source but those two for inexpensive instruments.

Can you cross the border now?  I thought it was closed due to Covid until at least the end of Oct.