Three tunes I've been working on

Geoff W.

Three tunes, two of them from Adrian Brown's excellent book and one of them from Gary Coover's newest John Watcham book. I'm definitely still learning rhythm consistency and keeping the left hand sounding clean compared to the right hand, but these were a lot of fun to learn.

• Like 4

Just now, Little John said:

Great work, Geoffrey! I'd seen the first two on IG and unfortunately the third won't play - it tells me I haven't been granted access.

LJ

Thanks for listening!

I should edit the post, I removed the third as I realized I goofed the audio recording and it sounded really blown out. I need to re-do it and re-upload.

• 2 weeks later...

Some years ago I went to Philadelphia for the Mummer's Parade and while there, visited the historic Arch Street Quaker Meeting House.  I had an interesting conversation with one of the meeting house Clerks who are administrators in leu of clergy. During our conversation I asked him if he was familiar with Sydney Carter? In answer he reached around me, pulled a hymnal out of the pew, and opened it to "Walk in The Light" which Sydney composed using, "a traditional folk tune" as is explained in Quaker literature. When I told him the tune Sydney used was "Moncks March" and the military record of General Monck for which it was named he was both beguiled and appalled.

• Like 1

On 9/30/2020 at 11:41 PM, Syncopepper said:

Some years ago I went to Philadelphia for the Mummer's Parade and while there, visited the historic Arch Street Quaker Meeting House.  I had an interesting conversation with one of the meeting house Clerks who are administrators in leu of clergy. During our conversation I asked him if he was familiar with Sydney Carter? In answer he reached around me, pulled a hymnal out of the pew, and opened it to "Walk in The Light" which Sydney composed using, "a traditional folk tune" as is explained in Quaker literature. When I told him the tune Sydney used was "Moncks March" and the military record of General Monck for which it was named he was both beguiled and appalled.

When I first heard Moncks March, it reminded me of a hymn I sang in my youth in the UK (in Boys Brigade). The tune was called 'The Staff of Faith' and described as a 'Traditional Swiss Melody arranged by F B Westbrook'. The words of the hymn began 'My faith it is an oaken staff'. Does anyone else recognise this?

A quick search did not come up with the Sydney Carter tune mentioned above - but he's most famous for Lord of the Dance (assuming its the same Sydney Carter) & adapting the tune 'Simple Gifts'.

9 hours ago, Little John said:

Thanks for that! It explains why I couldn't find it in any of my usual sources.

You’re welcome!

I know “The Barnes Book of English Country Dance Tunes” is more popular here in the USA than in England, but if you happen to have a copy of volume 1 (the blue one) around, it’s on the top of page 132 (with both names):

Step Stately

(Jack Pudding)