ISO beginner 30 button anglo concertina

emilyconcertina

3 minutes ago, emilyconcertina said:

That would be amazing! I can travel as well. I would love to play around with a few to get a feel 🌻  Let me know the best way to contact you directly.

This is exactly why I asked you to post your location.

I’m glad it works out.

9 hours ago, emilyconcertina said:

What do folks think of the Trinity College AP-1130 Anglo-Style Concertina 30b? 

I think it's most likely what's sometimes called a "generic Chinese" or "cheap Chinese" concertina.  Some of them are ok, but they are often poorly made and don't work properly.  If you're looking for a new student/beginner Anglo, I would say you'd be better off with a Wren or a Rochelle. 

Trinity College concertinas have not always gotten good reviews.  You'd have to know your seller.  I'd avoid Amazon for example, they don't have any experts going over their instruments, they just sell boxes from the factories.  The Rochelles, while bigger are still pretty light.  They are decent starter instruments. And if you buy from the Conncertina Connection or the Button Box will have been gone over before they are sold.   That line also has an English line as well.  I believe its called the Jackie.  I had a Stagi for a while that was quite nice, but they vary as well.   I just got lucky.   If someone offers you a used one make sure you can play it in person. I'd avoid the 20 button anglo because you will be missing some accidentals, mostly a C#.which is a pretty important note, as well as Db and Bb.   You'll grow out of it pretty fast unless you happen to use it for singing and the keys fit your voice.   The english system doesn't lend itself to the detailed ornamentation that makes Irish music sound Irish, but lots of people don't really care.   If you were getting heavily into Irish Trad it may be a big issue, but if you aren't  it won't really be a big deal. 

10 hours ago, LateToTheGame said:

Trinity College concertinas have not always gotten good reviews.  You'd have to know your seller.  I'd avoid Amazon for example, they don't have any experts going over their instruments, they just sell boxes from the factories.  The Rochelles, while bigger are still pretty light.  They are decent starter instruments. And if you buy from the Conncertina Connection or the Button Box will have been gone over before they are sold.   That line also has an English line as well.  I believe its called the Jackie.  I had a Stagi for a while that was quite nice, but they vary as well.   I just got lucky.   If someone offers you a used one make sure you can play it in person. I'd avoid the 20 button anglo because you will be missing some accidentals, mostly a C#.which is a pretty important note, as well as Db and Bb.   You'll grow out of it pretty fast unless you happen to use it for singing and the keys fit your voice.   The english system doesn't lend itself to the detailed ornamentation that makes Irish music sound Irish, but lots of people don't really care.   If you were getting heavily into Irish Trad it may be a big issue, but if you aren't  it won't really be a big deal. 

Thank you! That is very helpful. Hopefully in the next couple weeks I will be able to test out a few concertinas and get a feel of what might work for me. I will make sure to take this into consideration. 

On 9/17/2020 at 2:47 PM, emilyconcertina said:

was thinking 30 button would keep me using the beginner concertina a little longer but also, I should consider the 20b versions more. 

I started a couple of years ago and thought that I'd get a better 20-key instrument for the same money than a 30-key one. I'm glad I did this and bought a Lachenal 20-key following some great advice from Theo at the 'Box Place' - wrong side of the pond for you unfortunately. I upgraded to a 30-key model (Lachenal from Box Place) after about a year but the 20-key could have kept me going for much longer to be honest - plenty of tunes without C#. As it happened, I kept the 20-key too, but probably worth checking with the dealer what they might offer part-ex if you come to upgrade. Hope things pan out OK for you with Covid and work, and with finding a concertina!

So today we passed around a 20-key C/G Stagi (double reeded) anglo (I bought it in 1996), an older (maybe Bastari?) 30-key G/D anglo, a Morse Ceili C/G 30-key anglo, a Lachenal Paragon treble English, and a Conc. Connection Elise Hayden. My idea of a sampling. 😎  Also got to see a beautiful park I hadn't visited before.

Ken

Had a great time with Ken and Priscilla yesterday! Wow I get how folks fall in love with this instrument. I think for now I am going to focus on finding a used stagi or rochelle anglo listing in the US to get me started. I am still interested in 30 button but also exploring 20 buttons at a good price. Thank you so much @Ken_Coles! What a gift to get to hold so many different versions.