ISO beginner 30 button anglo concertina

emilyconcertina

Hi, I am a beginner looking for a used concertina in good working order. I am looking at other sites, listings and new options but at this time as a woman dealing with unemployment in the US due to covid, hoping there is someone out here who has one they no longer play and would like to rehome to a hopeful enthusiast with some time on her hands. Happy to pay a reasonable amount, not trying to make anyone feel undervalued or ask anyone to give me anything for free :3 Please get in touch if you have anything I might be interested in.

Edit: I am currently looking for something $500 USD or less; used or new. 

Edited by emilyconcertina
Clarification

Hi emilyconcertina, 

Welcome to cnet. You don't say what you're willing to pay or what kind of concertina, but you might want to look at the Button Box in Sunderland MA, 

https://www.buttonbox.com/concertinas-in-stock.html

They have a good range of used and new anglo, English and duet concertinas and a good reputation.  (Disclaimer, I have no connection with them them.) Certainly much safer than buying on ebay, where they often can't tell whether an instrument is playable or not. 

Good luck and happy playing. 

Hi Emily, if you don't know the difference between anglo and English or the different sorts of duet concertinas,  there are several sites available for help, such as

https://www.concertina.info/tina.faq/conc-typ.htm

or you can ask on this forum. 

If you have some idea of what you want,  but want help to understand makers, button layouts, etc., just speak up. Or PM me with questions, if you like. 

Do you know what kind of music you are interested in?   If it is Irish Traditional Music, the best type to start with is a C/G anglo.   There are other types of concertinas that are good for other types of music, but the standard and easiest for Irish Trad stuff is the C/G anglo.  Good luck.

22 hours ago, rudeboy said:

Hi emilyconcertina, 

Welcome to cnet. You don't say what you're willing to pay or what kind of concertina, but you might want to look at the Button Box in Sunderland MA, 

https://www.buttonbox.com/concertinas-in-stock.html

They have a good range of used and new anglo, English and duet concertinas and a good reputation.  (Disclaimer, I have no connection with them them.) Certainly much safer than buying on ebay, where they often can't tell whether an instrument is playable or not. 

Good luck and happy playing. 

Thank you so much! I appreciate the lead ☺️

9 hours ago, rudeboy said:

Hi Emily, if you don't know the difference between anglo and English or the different sorts of duet concertinas,  there are several sites available for help, such as

https://www.concertina.info/tina.faq/conc-typ.htm

or you can ask on this forum. 

If you have some idea of what you want,  but want help to understand makers, button layouts, etc., just speak up. Or PM me with questions, if you like. 

Thank you so much! I will learn some more and def will ask questions if I cant find my answers. 

16 hours ago, Richard Mellish said:

I have an English currently on loan to someone who plays that system and an Anglo that I loaned in the past and would be happy to loan again; the snag is that I'm in England 😞

Yeah that would probably be less easy to loan. I am always worried about overseas shipments getting lost. I don't think I could stand the guilt if something like that would happen! 

3 hours ago, LateToTheGame said:

Do you know what kind of music you are interested in?   If it is Irish Traditional Music, the best type to start with is a C/G anglo.   There are other types of concertinas that are good for other types of music, but the standard and easiest for Irish Trad stuff is the C/G anglo.  Good luck.

Thanks, I have been thinking a lot about this and am still debating myself. Trying to get a clearer idea since there are so many varieties! 

One thing to watch out for, whether you buy new or second-hand is that some of the 'low-end' instruments are

larger (and heavier) than the usual 6 1/4" across the flats. For example, I believe the Concertina Connection

Rochelle is  7 1/4" across the flats. Now, this may not bother you, but it's worth mentioning? I had a loan of a

larger instrument a while back - it wasn't easy to handle. That's a personal point of view, but it might be relevant

to you also. 

A McNeela Wren 2 might suit?

I know you mention 30-button in the headline for your post, but for your $500 you might strike lucky and find a

'vintage' 20-button instrument. Not as versatile as 30-button, but you can do a lot on a 20-button so it may be

worth considering?

Edited by The Crimson Avenger

9 hours ago, The Crimson Avenger said:

One thing to watch out for, whether you buy new or second-hand is that some of the 'low-end' instruments are

larger (and heavier) than the usual 6 1/4" across the flats. For example, I believe the Concertina Connection

Rochelle is  7 1/4" across the flats. Now, this may not bother you, but it's worth mentioning? I had a loan of a

larger instrument a while back - it wasn't easy to handle. That's a personal point of view, but it might be relevant

to you also. 

A McNeela Wren 2 might suit?

I know you mention 30-button in the headline for your post, but for your $500 you might strike lucky and find a

'vintage' 20-button instrument. Not as versatile as 30-button, but you can do a lot on a 20-button so it may be

worth considering?

Interesting! I just looked at the Wren 2 and it is nice. I was thinking 30 button would keep me using the beginner concertina a little longer but also, I should consider the 20b versions more. 

12 hours ago, emilyconcertina said:

I am located in Pittsburgh, PA

Hi Emily,

I'm an hour from Pittsburgh and have some instruments (not all of them anglos) you could try, if getting your hands on them would help you sort out what you're after. I do get down there (once again) on occasion.

Ken

• Like 1

1 hour ago, emilyconcertina said:

What do folks think of the Trinity College AP-1130 Anglo-Style Concertina 30b? 

The manufacturers (Saga Music) contact page is at: https://www.sagamusic.com/contact

If t'were me, I would ask them what the bellows are made of, and what the dimensions are ax the flats.

The weight seems to be about 1.5 Kg...

Edited by The Crimson Avenger

2 hours ago, Ken_Coles said:

Hi Emily,

I'm an hour from Pittsburgh and have some instruments (not all of them anglos) you could try, if getting your hands on them would help you sort out what you're after. I do get down there (once again) on occasion.

Ken

That would be amazing! I can travel as well. I would love to play around with a few to get a feel 🌻  Let me know the best way to contact you directly.