Looking for more info about Fabbrica/Stagi W-15 LN 30b Anglo

Hello, I'm looking for information/experience with certain make of concertina. I'm looking at this website: https://www.fabbricaconcertine.com/eng/catalogs-concertine.html

I'm interested in finding out more about the W-15 LN model listed under Diatonic Concertine with 30 Keys. I think they may be known as the Stagi W-15 LN. It looks like they are made to order, but they don't list any price estimates. Does anyone know how much one might expect to pay for this model new, from this seller? (Sorry that I'm not yet very familiar with the brand's history, maker, etc.)

Context if you're curious: I'm relatively new to concertina, and hoping to upgrade from a cheap 20b Amazon one that is pretty flimsy and shrill to a nicer one that will last, if I can manage it with my budget. So far I like to play harmonic music, and I'm trying to find a 30b Anglo C/G concertina. I'm willing to buy used, but for now I need to decide what make of concertina would best suit my criteria.

I owned a W-15 LN for a while. 

I liked its sound, but it was not a typical concertina reeded sound.  The bellows were stiff and did not improve over time, the button action ('the new, improved action') while better than the original Stagi action in that the buttons did not actually fall off inside the concertina, but it was made of soft aluminium that wore away quite quickly and felt a bit clunky.   I really did not like the bellows.  I eventually gave it away.

If you can stretch your budget to a Concertina Connection Minstrel then I think that would make you much happier. If not, then a Concertina Connection Rochelle is  better and cheaper than a Stagi - a better action and a somewhat better bellows - plus it has a trade-in value. It is not as pretty as the Stagi.

Also, there have been recent postings here about very poor after sales service from whoever owns the Stagi brand these days so beware!

Since you live in New England then you should contact the Button Box either to buy a Stagi or a Concertina Connection concertina.  Please be sure to read their comments about what they do to a new Stagi before selling it.  https://www.buttonbox.com and https://www.buttonbox.com/stagi-enhancements.html

Edited by Don Taylor
  • Like 1

@Don Taylor Thank you for all the great info! That's unfortunate about the new Stagi brand - hopefully they become aware of their recent service reputation and try to improve it. 

The tip about the Button Box is helpful. I had seen their website and noticed that they had the Stagi used for $695 (not out of my financial realm but it's up there), but I didn't know about all the work that they do on it between getting it and selling it. If it could improve some of the action issue you mentioned, that would make buying it from them more tempting. I was considering the Rochelle a while ago, the price point is ideal of course, but I've seen a few comments that it is large and hard to play for someone who has smaller hands like me. That's the only major problem I've heard about it so far though, so I wonder if I could find a way to get used to it. (but you may be right that it isn't as pretty haha!)

It can be tough to decide on a budget, I'm still figuring it out as I browse. If I'm really, really sure about a concertina, I could dip deeper into the savings, but since I'm still a beginner, I'm not sure if it's the wisest thing to spend my money on right now. That said, I play my cheap one every day and every day I think about how nice it would be to have a smoothly working, good sounding, 30 button one :'D

It could be better to have patience and invest in a really good quality one instead of buying a cheaper, less durable one right away.. But on the other hand, what if it turns out that I don't end up sticking with concertina after a few years and I regret spending so much..

AAGH! Decisions! 🤯 I guess it's probably best to take my time to think a lot about it first though. Thanks again for your help! 

5 hours ago, marimo-maiden said:

...It could be better to have patience and invest in a really good quality one instead of buying a cheaper, less durable one

right away.. But on the other hand, what if it turns out that I don't end up sticking with concertina after a few years and I

regret spending so much..

If: you decide to bale out of concertina-world at some later date, 

then: the better the quality of the instrument you have bought, the higher is the chance that it will have retained its value,

and the better is the chance that you will be able to recoup a high proportion of your initial outlay when you sell it on...

So, whatever your final choice of instrument, it's possibly not a bad idea to get absolutely the best one you can afford

right from the start?

Edited by The Crimson Avenger
Final sentence is now a question, not a statement...
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Don Taylor said:

Also, there have been recent postings here about very poor after sales service from whoever owns the Stagi brand these days so beware!

I may have the wrong end of the stick here, but I thought that complaint had to do with the previous owner of the Stagi brand, not the current owners.

9 hours ago, marimo-maiden said:

I had seen their website and noticed that they had the Stagi used for $695

Their web-site does not say that they do a full tune-up on a used concertina, I would call them and check first.  Also, the Button Box used to rent Rochelles by the month and at least some of the rental fee could later be applied against a purchase.  They are good folks to deal with.

9 hours ago, marimo-maiden said:

Rochelle a while ago, the price point is ideal of course, but I've seen a few comments that it is large

My Stagi LN-15 was only a little bit smaller than a Rochelle.

4 hours ago, alex_holden said:

I thought that complaint had to do with the previous owner of the Stagi brand, not the current owners

That could be the case but in any case I would strongly recommend buying a Stagi from a reputable dealer who would stand behind the purchase rather than an online site that may be (quiite a bit) cheaper.

22 hours ago, marimo-maiden said:

Hello, I'm looking for information/experience with certain make of concertina. I'm looking at this website: https://www.fabbricaconcertine.com/eng/catalogs-concertine.html

I'm interested in finding out more about the W-15 LN model listed under Diatonic Concertine with 30 Keys. I think they may be known as the Stagi W-15 LN. It looks like they are made to order, but they don't list any price estimates. Does anyone know how much one might expect to pay for this model new, from this seller? (Sorry that I'm not yet very familiar with the brand's history, maker, etc.)

Don't know about the specific model.

But in general, I believe that a 30 button Stagi purchased from a dealer that makes sure they're set up properly, like the Button Box - can be a usable entry level instrument if your budget won't get you into the range of a really good hybrid, such as the Morse, the Clover, the Edgley, etc.

I have one sitting here that someone gave me, almost new.

It's playable. It sounds OK, not too very different from the good hybrids, and has a certain charm all its own.  The bellows are stiffer and the action is slower than my good instruments, but it's  perfectly adequate to take you through the first stages of learning this instrument.  I don't say the same about the Rochelle, which is just too stiff and clunky.

But I would only consider one from a dealer with the know how to ensure that you're not getting a lemon. That pretty much means the Button Box. If you're interested in the used one on their Web side, call them, speak to Doug and ask about it - and about what they do to back it up.

• Like 1

I am another "vote" for the ButtonBox and perhaps the Stagis they might offer.  I have bought two old Bastaris (the precursor/parent of Stagi) from Doug and love them both.  One is a Hayden duet (about 600 dollars) and one a 40 button Anglo in G and D, for about 500 some years ago. While I also have one of their own Morse Ceilis, and play it most of the time, it was more like 2400 dollars.  If you aren't sure, then the Italian boxes sound, well, sort of soft and sweet.  My session colleagues seem to like the sound of the old Bastari/Stagis, and I have personally bought two others privately for 95 dollars and 125 dollars.  Both are sweet and gentle little instruments.  But, no ButtonBox support or help, and held together with bubble gum and duct tape....Well, leather patches and Elmer's glue.  But sound great!

And, of course, Doug at the ButtonBox will rent lots of options at fair prices, with partial rent applied to purchase, should you so choose.

Good luck, and have fun!

David

• Like 1

1. If you are not sure about the concertina, I'd second the rental recommendation.  The Button  Box will send you an instrument in good shape, and you'll have a change to figure out if you like the ergonomics of playing.   You'll gradually find you'll like a nicer sound than the cheapest models, but you'll basically be buying time. A lot of what you do in the beginning is finding your notes and learning the keyboard. 
  • Like 1