Sign in to follow this  
Tiposx

Baritone options

I play Irish trad tunes on treble ec but every now and then I fancy the idea of a baritone version. I expect the baritone to be slower but sound good.  I like the tone of the Aeola baritone as played by Dick Glasgow in several videos.
I have read on this forum several times that the Morse Geordie is a good one, and that it sounds great - but I haven’t been able to find a video or recording that demonstrates what I would call a good tone. It could be that I haven’t heard a good one, but they do not sound sweet on the videos. On the other hand the Jack sounds ok to me but looks like hard work on the bellows.
I am used to the sound of traditional concertina reeds, but I also play melodeon and accordion, so I sort of know where the ball park is.

So I wonder what other baritone fanciers think - what are the options for a good sounding instrument? The Wheatstone are a lot of money! Can anyone point me to a good video of a Morse Geordie?
Thanks

Cannot  help  with  and  links  to    Geordie  baritone  videos.  I  tried  one  once, or  perhaps it  was  the  smaller  Albion,  but  for  me  it  did  not have enough puff  for  the  larger  reeds.

The  instrument  played  by  Dick  Glasgow  is  a  Baritone/Treble  and  that is  what I play  also.  Basically  a Treble  keyboard with  an  octave  downward extension , which  means  if  you wish to  play  a tune  one octave  lower your  fingering  has to  be  reversed.  A  Standard  Baritone  is  like a Treble  tuned an octave  lower, but I'm  sure you know  that.

The  Baritone /Treble  takes a wee bit  of  getting used  to    but I  do  not  find  mine at all  slow for playing  Irish sessions , though my main use  for it  is  adding  harmony  and  chords   in the lower  regions  whilst  maintaining the melody  in the treble  ranges.

Dick Glasgow's  is  the  biggest  version ( 64 keys)  and my own is  the  smaller  56 key  which is  8"  across flats. This one  from  1927,  looks a bit  rough  around the edges  but  it's a player!

P1000277.JPG

Edited by Geoff Wooff

I love your instrument Geoff Wooff, and would love to find one similar

• Like 1