Who is this EC player playing Irish?

3 hours ago, Milesy said:

Might be just me, but the link doesn't work.

This is really an unlisten youtube video. Since it is unlisted, I won't post the direct link.

The tune is labelled Tom Maguire's Fancy, user's name is clunktrip.

@Chris Ghent Thanks for the heads up.

@Dissonance I've never thought of myself as playing tenor banjo on the EC but... if you say so! I play a bit differently now and have been doing more with the bellows over the last few years. 

@Peter Laban I'm headless because I didn't need to see my own face - I was experimenting with different techniques and did the video for practice purposes, hence the PJs (embarrassing, but could have been a lot worse!)

I was experimenting with different techniques and did the video for practice purposes, hence the PJs

I can only comment on what you publish online and that's just what you did. f you don't want to be seen, just a soundclip is an option. I did pick up Tom Maguires Fancy from that first clip so it's not all doom and gloom.

Edited by Peter Laban

Hello Clunktrip,

I apologize, I think this didn’t go the way I intended at all. I have found very few EC players that believably play Irish tunes. You are definitely one of them and I was looking forward to hearing a lot more. As a lifelong tenor banjo player, playing EC like a tenor banjo was really a compliment though I can see now that it might not have sounded one. Oops! I guess not everyone loves banjo like I do. 

I would love to have a more extensive discussion with folks about Irish technique. I have been thinking of the EC more like a fiddle and the bellows as a 10 foot bow that you only use tiny portions of. My goal has been to try to emulate the fiddle bowing and try to use the same ornaments the fiddler does where they line up well. It didn’t occur to me that you could essentially drive the tune with doublings.

@Dissonance no worries - I have nothing against the tenor banjo and didn't mind your comment at all. It just hadn't occurred to me that you could make that comparison.

More than happy to discuss elsewhere so feel free to PM me. YouTube has changed a lot over the years and now people expect to see polished performances by professional musicians, so this kind of private practice might seem inappropriate to some.

Also, I wouldn't want to give the impression I actually wear PJs - I ripped a hole down the back of those ones years ago and had to chuck them in the bin! ?

9 hours ago, Dissonance said:

As a lifelong tenor banjo player, playing EC like a tenor banjo was really a compliment though I can see now that it might not have sounded one. 

• Haha 1