Wakker Concertinas

19 minutes ago, Riggy said:

I am really impressed with the LOOK of these instruments 

http://www.wakker-concertinas.com/photo parade.htm

Are they as good as they look and worth the $6-9k ?

Are they constructed at the level of craftsmanship of Wheatstone's golden era ?

Riggy

If you know Dave Marcus in Atlanta, you should talk to him; he has one.

I have a Wakker bass in for service, solidly made, heavy, all Wakker's own made instruments are well crafted and the better instruments use traditional reeds for the authentic sound. The bass is a bit ploddy and not as responsive as the owner would like, but other Wakkers have been reasonable.

Dave 

I'm on the waitlist to someday convert my Concertina Connection Clover to a Wakker A5 via their upgrade program.

Like the OP, I'm keen to hear what modern users think - Wim doesn't seem to get as much air time as other famed makers, in my research. Perhaps it's because they're now a US-based shop and a lot of Anglo players at the $6-9k range of instrument are in the UK, and would go for a Dipper/Suttner/vintage Jeffries/Wheatstone etc first and foremost?

I bought a Wakker W-A4 in 2013.

It is a superb instrument and well worth the money.

Workmanship is top-notch.  The reeds are particularly impressive. Highly responsive with rich tone. The Wakker is quite different from the Dipper C/G that I have. They are both excellent in their own waý.

Edited by Frosty
add content

39 minutes ago, Frosty said:

I bought a Wakker W-A4 in 2013.

It is a superb instrument and well worth the money.

Workmanship is top-notch.  The reeds are particularly impressive. Highly responsive with rich tone. The Wakker is quite different from the Dipper C/G that I have. They are both excellent in their own waý.

Could you elaborate on the differences?

The Wakker is livelier. The reeds respond a bit more quickly than the Dipper reeds, and with greater volume. 
The timbre of the Dipper is richer. 
Workmanship on the Wakker is faultless, but the Dippers take the workmanship to a level beyond even that. It’s a pleasure to open the concertina and admire. Bellows on the Dipper are also the best that I’ve ever played. 

I generally play the Wakker for a month, and then switch to the Dipper for a month. 

• Thanks 1

Two  soundcloud  tracks;  both recorded   in   the  same  space with the exact  same  set up .

The first  is  a  Kerry  polka  played on a Wakker   H1.  46key  Hayden  duet  with  wooden ends.

The  second  is  a  French  tune  played on a 57 key  Wheatstone Aeola  McCann   with  metal  ends.

These  tracks were submissions for  the  Tune of the Month  forum.

Posted for  tonal  comparison..

Edited by Geoff Wooff

8 minutes ago, Isel said:

Wowww what a difference!!

Sort off curiosity Geoff, the title of the second one resembles to me more as catalán languaje.

Indeed  Isel , there is  a big  tonal  difference.  Perhaps  this is  not  a very  balanced test  so  I  will try a different  one  in my  next post.

Regarding the    second tune title,  I'm not  exactly  sure  but  it  must  be one of  the  southern  France    languages.

Perhaps  a  better comparison  and  similar  genres.

The first  track  is  played on  the Wakker  46K Hayden  (wooden  ends).

The second  is   played on  a  wooden  ended  56k  Wheastone Aeola  English , Baritone /Treble.

Edited by Geoff Wooff
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Isel said:

Sort off curiosity Geoff, the title of the second one resembles to me more as catalán languaje.

4 hours ago, Geoff Wooff said:

Regarding the    second tune title,  I'm not  exactly  sure  but  it  must  be one of  the  southern  France    languages.

In another thread (13 years ago), it was identified as Occitan.