Jump to content

Looking for Slightly Larger Hard Case


Recommended Posts

Does anyone know where I can buy, preferably in the UK/Europe, a new ready-made wooden hard case, sized for a slightly larger concertina (say 7 1/2" / 19cm wide octagonal ends)? I'm looking for something in a similar style to this case that I supply with my standard size instruments, but about an inch bigger in all dimensions:

 

case_example.jpg.97cb55b09770ccfda5e0f72075ca658a.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Geoff Wooff said:

Have you tried  Berwall    www.berwall.de    ?  They  have   a lot of  shapes  and sizes.

 

Thanks for the tip Geoff. They have one that would sort of work but isn't the ideal shape. If I can't find a suitable case off the shelf one option is to buy the flight case hardware and assemble a custom one, but I've been trying to find a ready made case that fits to save the client a bit of money.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Pelican cases  makes a ton of sizes. And the foam is easily cut with an electric knife, 

not concertina specific. But very good, very cheap and can easily be modified for anything, and they are also waterproof.

 

being ubiquitous and universal. The upside is that depending on the circumstances, it does not scream, “I’m an expensive piece of gear, steal me now”

 

 

 

Edited by seanc
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, seanc said:

Pelican cases  makes a ton of sizes. And the foam is easily cut with an electric knife, 

 

Thanks, it is an option, but many players prefer something more traditional looking.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Rod Pearce said:

I've just seen this one. It has internal dimensions of 20cm x 20cm x 17cm. Not sure about the 17cm for your needs, though It might be worth a look

 

Thanks, unfortunately I don't think that one will fit.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, alex_holden said:

 

Thanks, it is an option, but many players prefer something more traditional looking.


unless you are talking about a 6 or 8 sided wood or leather wrapped wooden cases.

 

imo Not having a ladies make up case with wonky/ iffy latches would be a selling point.
 

“Only  the Finest Corinthian hides of the endangered Naugas lovingly wrapping the superlative quality cardboard!” 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, seanc said:


unless you are talking about a 6 or 8 sided wood or leather wrapped wooden cases.

 

imo Not having a ladies make up case with wonky/ iffy latches would be a selling point.
 

“Only  the Finest Corinthian hides of the endangered Naugas lovingly wrapping the superlative quality cardboard!” 

 

Hi Sean, I'm not sure why you think the alternative to a Pelican style moulded plastic case would be a cardboard makeup case with wonky latches. The Italian-made wooden musical instrument cases I (and other makers) normally supply are strong plywood boxes with decent quality steel hardware and a hard wearing PVC covering. They aren't as pretty (or expensive) as a hand made leather case but they are certainly suitable for their intended purpose.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Alex

This idea might not suit the customer’s needs, but you could try a vintage case  for example there is a Wheatstone Aeola TT size one on eBay (looks like a very well known seller...) for pennies. It would be an easy restoration for you.

I am having one restored by a leather worker at the moment and it isn’t expensive.

I love your blog btw!

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Tiposx said:

Hi Alex

This idea might not suit the customer’s needs, but you could try a vintage case  for example there is a Wheatstone Aeola TT size one on eBay (looks like a very well known seller...) for pennies. It would be an easy restoration for you.

I am having one restored by a leather worker at the moment and it isn’t expensive.

I love your blog btw!

 

Thanks, if we're thinking of the same one, the listing doesn't give the dimensions, but I'm tempted to bid on it anyway as I'm curious to learn how that style of case was constructed.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I can send you some photos of mine pre- restoration, but no measurements as it's away at the leather place. I can measure the 'tina if that helps.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...