Lachenal Anglo 20 (42070)

Cardiff Paul

It'd be around 1903 with that serial number.  Strike that, I was looking at English serial numbers. We'd have to see some photos to give much more idea of value - a lot comes down to condition and individual playing characteristics. 

Edited by Pgidley

1 hour ago, Pgidley said:

It'd be around 1903 with that serial number. We'd have to see some photos to give much more idea of value - a lot comes down to condition and individual playing characteristics. 

Not for an anglo, it would be much earlier.  More like 1870s.

Edited by Theo

Nice looking instrument.  5 fold bellows as originally made, but they look like new hand straps.  Fretwork looks OK.  Hopefully it's been looked after.  Is it in modern pitch?

A 20 button Lachenal was designed as a simple "working man's instrument" and all the better for that.  If it's a good example, it will be charismatic and rewarding to play.

Thanks for your help. I have received the concertina today, first look at it is promising. The right hand fascia has got a long crack in it (cosmetic I think- I have seen similar on a Latchenal before). The instrument is way out of tune. Both these issues were not mentioned on EBay and it will cost me a retune? The seller argues that all he said was thar all buttons make a sound both ways, and what do I expect from such an old instrument? That was easy...honesty? Pursue him through the relevant channels now.

i am not a player yet, but found a few buttons in tune!

Edited by Cardiff Paul

Did the listing say it was in tune? Most private sellers on eBay don't know anything about concertinas and wouldn't know how to accurately assess their condition or playability. That's one reason it costs more if you buy one from a reputable dealer.

If the crack is obvious from the outside and they didn't mention it in the description or show it in the photos, you may have more grounds for complaint about that.

• Like 1

No he didn’t say it was in tune, he said buttons sound a note each way. Probably isn’t a player and wouldn’t have known anyway. I play stringed Instruments and it would be expected not to be in tune, but it should have said as a lot do.... “not a player, not known if it is in tune! That would be acceptable! Anyway half expected it TBH! Musicians normally follow a silent code of honour!