Jump to content
Geoff Wooff

Gold Powder anyone ?

Recommended Posts

Some  years ago  I  came across  60 grams  of  powered gold  in a  carton full  cobbler's  tools  and materials.  Have never yet  found a use for  it  but  I assume  the  cobbler   was  embossing  boots and other  leather goods  or  making  'gold size'  perhaps.

 

Anyone  interested  in making an offer  ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alex,  

 

a  small fortune  ?  Maybe the  value of  a  nice  concertina?

 

I took it to  one of  those  ' We  Buy  Gold'  shops  and  they  said  yes it  was  gold  alright,  probably  24 k   but  in powder form it  was  not   possible to  re use it  by  melting.  I  guess  there must  be a chemical  way  of  re-claiming  it  like they  do  with  silver  that  has been dissolved   during  film processing.

Edited by Geoff Wooff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Geoff Wooff said:

Alex,  

 

a  small fortune  ?  Maybe the  value of  a  nice  concertina?

 

I took it to  one of  those  ' We  Buy  Gold'  shops  and  they  said  yes it  was  gold  alright,  probably  24 k   but  in powder form it  was  not   possible to  re use it  by  melting.  I  guess  there must  be a chemical  way  of  re-claiming  it  like they  do  with  silver  that  has been dissolved   during  film processing.


Over €3000 if it was solid bullion. I don’t know how they do it but there are companies that specialise in recovering scrap, e.g. filings from the jewellery trade. I just Googled and found this company in London:

http://www.landalemetals.co.uk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Stephen Chambers said:

24ct gold powder sells for £119.95 (£143.94 Incl. Tax) per gram. https://www.stonehouses.co.uk/gold-imitation-leaf/genuine-gold-and-silver-powder.html

 

Hmmm !  That is  a  considerable  sum.  Thank you  Stephen  !!   Perhaps  I  might get  an  Amboyna  or  Tortoise Shell  Aeola  out of the proceeds  if  I  can find anyone to  buy  the powder.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this chap implies he gets 2.5gms of gold 'nugget'  from 1Lb of gold 'dust' after smelting.......🤨   I am hopeless at maths ( math ) so no idea of the implications for 60gms of dust.....

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sprunghub said:

I think this chap implies he gets 2.5gms of gold 'nugget'  from 1Lb of gold 'dust' after smelting.......🤨   I am hopeless at maths ( math ) so no idea of the implications for 60gms of dust.....

 

I don't know what his "gold powder" is; it looks more like dried mud than the high purity stuff you use for gilding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By the power of the mighty Google !!😉

More Googling may suggest how they get it to "stay" bright gold ( to the eye ).....it makes little sense that a base metal 'powder' can not be reconstituted, but I don't know if they add something to it as an anti-oxidant for that perpetual brightness.

"The light brown powder is gold, if you crushed it with a glass stir rod it would look like gold, (or smeared in under pressure onto a piece of paper it would leave a gold streak), the pure powder will do this where impure gold will not do this or as well.
To get the brown powder look like gold it is melted, it has something to do with particle size and reflection of light as to why this fairly pure brown power does not look like gold."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Sprunghub said:

More Googling may suggest how they get it to "stay" bright gold ( to the eye ).....it makes little sense that a base metal 'powder' can not be reconstituted, but I don't know if they add something to it as an anti-oxidant for that perpetual brightness.

 

Hopefully the chap in the "we buy gold" shop was correct in his assessment that what Geoff has is high purity 24 carat gold powder like the stuff Stephen linked to, not a base metal bronzing powder.

 

I just read the description on the video above - he says this powder is from 1lb of "trimmed gold fingers". I think he means that he cut the gold-plated copper contacts off the edge connectors on printed circuit boards and ground them up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...