Concertina Velcro Straps

I have a banjo in my dining room that sits on a stand right in the middle of my house. I often find that when passing by I see it, pick it up and play a few tunes and then put it back. My concertina on the other hand is kept safely in a box sitting on a shelf in another room. While it only takes a few more seconds to get it out and playable I don't pick it up as much as I'd like and I think this is the reason. It's not right in the middle of where I am every day and it's not able to be picked up and played as easily.

I've heard of people using strips of velcro that will keep the bellows snug in the closed position and was wondering if anyone could share any pictures, tips on making them or suggested materials (or supplies if US based).

Cheers!

My ever-loving made this for my Wolverton....works well.

Just soft webbing with velcro fastening. Narrow enough to fit betwixt buttons and air lever. Overlapped folded back tab on the outer end to serve as a lift-off pull.

Rob

Velcro Strap on Wolverton.jpg

Edited by Robin Tims
added text
  • Thanks 1

It's a good idea to keep the instrument readily available for playing. However I'd be worried that storing it outside the case might result in more dust & other atmospheric pollution getting inside the mechanism. I'm no expert, though.

I'm a great believer in Equal Rights. ;)

Concertinas, banjos, mandolins, guitars, Waldzithern, Autoharps, ukulele - each of them is in its case, protected from dust, falling down and being knocked over, in a large cupboard. None of them is easier to reach than another, so they get played whenever I want to play something on that particular instrument.

BTW, many banjoists and guitarists are much averse to keeping their instrument in a stand - whether at home, or on stage at a gig - for fear of getting them knocked over and having their necks broken.

Cheers,

John 

5 minutes ago, Anglo-Irishman said:

I'm a great believer in Equal Rights. ;)

Concertinas, banjos, mandolins, guitars, Waldzithern, Autoharps, ukulele - each of them is in its case, protected from dust, falling down and being knocked over, in a large cupboard. None of them is easier to reach than another, so they get played whenever I want to play something on that particular instrument.

BTW, many banjoists and guitarists are much averse to keeping their instrument in a stand - whether at home, or on stage at a gig - for fear of getting them knocked over and having their necks broken.

Cheers,

John 

Absolutely John.

However having a squash strap doesn't mean the box sits all the time out in the breeze (only sometimes). It does also make it easy to pop it into it's case without the ends constantly dragging across the soft lining and roughing it up. My case is quite properly a pretty snug fit over the ends.

Best'

Rob

19 hours ago, pentaprism said:

Instead of a Velcro strap, I raided my wife's closet and stole an elastic bra shoulder strap (maybe two, I don't remember).

Works great.

She hasn't notices it (them) missing yet.  ?

Good idea, could also give your playing a lift and nicely separate the notes.......... (sorry)

Rob

• Haha 1