Posted (edited)

Rambling around the big wide Web, as I do in my idle moments I came across this,  ...

Melophone

A quaint development of the free reed??

Jake

P.S. Now that I've had time to search I see that it has been discussed previously.

Edited by Anglogeezertoo
  • Like 1

I wondered briefly why there are more buttons than pads/notes, then realised that the upper notes of each row ("string") are the same as the lower notes of the next one. The connections between the buttons and the pads are apparently by fine wires. It's a bit reminiscent of the connections to railway signals, on a miniature scale.

The push-pull action of the double bellows is brilliant, corresponding (sort of) to up and down with a bow.

I saw one in the music museum in Brussels 15 years ago. Mentioned it here. Didn’t know what it was, Rich morse identified it.

1 hour ago, David Barnert said:

I saw one in the music museum in Brussels 15 years ago.

Closer to home, there is also one in the Accordion Museum in Montmagny, Quebec.

There is one in the Horniman Museum, Forest Hill, London.

It is now fully restored. However  when I first visited the Horniman in the 1950s, many of the musical instruments were in a very sorry state, owing to neglect during the war. The Melophone was was totally fallen apart in it's case, and you could see all the internal mechanism with wires connecting from the buttons to little trap doors. This was much more interesting to me, as I have always been fascinated by how musical instruments work.

Inventor.   

Edited by inventor
Wrote on instead of in.