Hawgfiddle

Cleaning concertina woodwork & button cleaning question

Hi all

Just got an old Lachenal English .Pretty good overall . Wood work is  rosewood veneer over another wood . I would guess that this was originally finished with French polish. It is in pretty good condition , none of the fretwork missing or chipped .A few small chips round the edge and a couple of fingernail gouges- not through the rosewood.

Ive encountered a few  old banjos over the years which were French polished .Do the same rules apply, just a clean with warm soapy water and dry ? Any point applying a furniture  wax/paste wax to further protect.

The instrument is a tutor model with red C keys and stamped note letters . Some people suggest popping the keys in a dishwasher. Don't want to lose the red staining  nor the remainders of stampings. I'd be just as happy cleaning each button individually- soapy water again? Can I ad soft electricials wax to highlight the letters?

Ta

Jim

48 minutes ago, Hawgfiddle said:

Hi all

Some people suggest popping the keys in a dishwasher. Don't want to lose the red staining  nor the remainders of stampings. I'd be just as happy cleaning each button individually- soapy water again? Can I ad soft electricials wax to highlight the letters?

Ta

Jim

Hi Jim,

I took the buttons to a local jeweller and had him clean them in their ultrasonic cleaning device. Wasn't expensive and turned  out decent enough!

Hi

I'm probably a 120-140 mile round trip to my nearest jewellers !! However , there's lots of crafty type folk in these parts, I'll ask around . Might be someone  who has such a thing! Good idea!

Thanks Jim

Jim

You could try violin polish for the woodwork.

I have used Super Nicko with good results, available from Beare and Sons. But there are others available on the internet.

https://beareandson.co.uk/super-nicko-31-p.asp

Regards

Rod

You could also try Burnishing Cream - available in small bottles for freshening up French polish

Alex West

Hi

Got some Super Nicko , which is actually a burnishing cream .Brought the wood up a treat! Thanks all

Jim