Teaching Highland Scotland

1) Try contacting Simon Thoumire via his Facebook page;

If Simon is not giving direct lessons himself, he might be able to advise you where else to look.

Watch his series of VLog's on Youtube.

2) Check this page on the International Concetina association website:

https://concertina.org/regional-groups-with-regular-meetings/

Of course details may not be fully up to date, especially with lockdown, bit at least there are some contacts as a starting point.

3) Look for folk clubs in your area. again, these may be inacive due to covid restrictions. But if you get contact details, your local club may have a website or have information on a broader website. Check local radio schedules for folk music programmes - these may give details of related events in your area.

Sorry I am not in that area myself, so I do not have more specific information. Generally I would expect there to be more activity in Glasgow/Edinburgh, but that is not an absolute rule.

Best wishes,

John Wild.

2 hours ago, John Wild said:

1) Try contacting Simon Thoumire via his Facebook page;

Simon is active on concertina.net, although he doesn’t seem to have checked in for about a year. Still, you should be able to message him from here.

However: Simon’s a great English Concertina player but the way he holds and fingers the instrument is, to say the least, unconventional. I have no idea what value he’d be as a teacher to someone who wants to learn to play “the right way.”

9 hours ago, David Barnert said:

However: Simon’s a great English Concertina player but the way he holds and fingers the instrument is, to say the least, unconventional. I have no idea what value he’d be as a teacher to someone who wants to learn to play “the right way.”

I tend to agree with that. However, he has lots of contacts and is busy in organisations such as Hands up for trad. And you can learn from some content in his Vlogs.

Hi all

I'm aware of Simons T's music .Scary stuff at times, in the same way as his shirts! His vlogs are really open and honest .Great stuff..  In the process of re-aquainting myself with EC content on YTube ,

Jim

You could try getting in touch with Frances Wilkins at Aberdeen University's Elphinstone Institute.  I don't know if she teaches but she plays EC to a very high standard and sometimes goes out to the west coast.  She may know of someone closer to your area

Alex West