Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I went to go play this an hour and a half after creating this thread.   My first thought was this is practically a toy.  So I thanked the seller for their time and walked away.

Posted Images

If it's in decent working condition and in tune with itself, the price is not unreasonable.  But it will never be a really good concertina, and the fact that it only has 20 buttons will limit what you can do with it.  If you want to spend the minimum amount of money so you can try out an Anglo concertina to see if you like playing the concertina, this might do the job (if it's in decent working condition and in tune with itself).  But if you buy it, try it out and find that you like concertina playing, you will probably want to move up to something better soon.

Edited by Daniel Hersh
Link to post
Share on other sites

You’d be mush better off picking up a new or used Concertina Connection as a starter.

more $$. But a lot less frustrating.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t have experience with the Wren. So I can not make a  comparison. 
 

the upside of the CC over many others is that as they do have a good reputation an upgrade program, they are likely to hold at least some of their value. As well as, in the right circumstances, give some upgrade options. 
 

I had one and I sold it on Craig’s. One of the things that the buyer liked and helped to sell it was trade in possibility.

 

i would assume that either of these would be at least a place to start. As you have to start somewhere. But with either of these don’t expect this to b3 your final purchase if you stick with it, you’re likely to outgrow either of these.

 

Edited by seanc
Spelling
Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like things are getting a little confused. The “Wren” (and “Wren 2”) may resemble Concertina Connection’s “Rochelle,” but it is not made by Concertina Connection. It is made by McNeela in Ireland.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, David Barnert said:

Looks like things are getting a little confused. The “Wren” (and “Wren 2”) may resemble Concertina Connection’s “Rochelle,” but it is not made by Concertina Connection. It is made by McNeela in Ireland.

The Rochelle is $425 shipped from Concertina Connection.  The person near me wants $400 for their wren2.

 

So McNeela makes/builds both of these models in house, in Ireland??

Edited by aufderdiatonischen
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, seanc said:

I don’t have experience with the Wren. So I can not make a  comparison. 
 

the upside of the CC over many others is that as they do have a good reputation an upgrade program, they are likely to hold at least some of their value. As well as, in the right circumstances, give some upgrade options. 
 

I had one and I sold it on Craig’s. One of the things that the buyer liked and helped to sell it was trade in possibility.

 

i would assume that either of these would be at least a place to start. As you have to start somewhere. But with either of these don’t expect this to b3 your final purchase if you stick with it, you’re likely to outgrow either of these.

 

Yeah I should check out Craig's, everyone is on offer up now but I'm going to check in with Craig.......

Edited by aufderdiatonischen
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, aufderdiatonischen said:

Yeah I should check out Craig's, everyone is on offer up now but I'm going to check in with Craig.......

I think button box usually has used, you might check there as well.

 

the upside of getting either of these from Craig’s or other outlets is that generally, these will have not seen huge use. And as they are reasonably new, it’s not like a 100+ year old instrument that tends to need extensive overhaul by professional specialists.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, aufderdiatonischen said:

The Rochelle is $425 shipped from Concertina Connection.  The person near me wants $400 for their wren2.

 

So McNeela makes/builds both of these models in house, in Ireland??

 

No. The Rochelle is fabricated in China under contract with (and specifications of) The Concertina Connection in Valleyford, WA, USA. McNeela is in Dublin, Ireland but I have no idea where their Wren is fabricated.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, aufderdiatonischen said:

Likely to outgrow meaning I'm going to want one with more buttons/notes?

 

No, 30 buttons is plenty. “Outgrow” meaning upgrade to a better instrument.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Make a Donation


×
×
  • Create New...