Jeremy Sienkiewicz

Looking to buy beginner anglo

My son is turning 15 and I'm hoping to get him a beginner concertina.  It is a gift to me as well as I want to learn too.  A father/son concertina duo!  Anyone have one that they could sell at a good price?  Thanks!

Posted (edited)

Hi Jeremy-  I have a Trinity College 30-button Anglo in C/G on the site for not a lot of money. Shipping shouldn't be too bad from MN to KS, either.  The posting is on this site, earlier in the thread. 

Best regards, Jim

Edited by MandoTwanger
Include link to post on site

The Wren 2 anglo concertina from McNeela In Ireland is a really great beginner. Most teachers say it’s the best. It’s a little over 500 but great quality and quick and cheap shipping.

I have a very-lightly used Wren 2 that I bought in October from McNeela in Ireland. It was my rehab activity post surgery but I never really got around to playing it - bigger dreams than reality. I paid $450 and would take $100 off. She's very lovely.

On 7/14/2020 at 3:17 AM, Jeremy Sienkiewicz said:

I think if I spend more money I want something Irish or UK made.

Not necessarily. It depends where you are.

There are excellent concertina makers/restorers in the US and in Canada. A nice thing (to me at least) is that if you ever need service/support, you don't have to ship across the pond.

You sort of need to define more money to get the most specific advice.   $500,  $1000, $1500?  Many people starting out want to spend the least amount of money possible because they aren't sure they will stick with it.

Jeremy, get hold of Greg Jowaisas who is on C.Net.  I just got a really nice 20b Jones from him and I know that he will likely have something that would fit your needs.  He's well recommended by many folks, including me.