Looking For Super Mellow Clare Style Conertina

hi all,

i'm brand new to this board. i can't play my low D for two days now. i'm playing since last christmas and maybe i put in too much practice(2 hours a day). but a concertina might be a nice change so that i could practice more then 2 hours :P .

i don't even know what's advisable for irish music in the key of D(i only play in D,two octaves), german or anglo type? a kinda sound between oboe and clarinet. the reedy, and sweet, non-metal sounding kind. i only play irishTM and i play in sessions. so the instrument should be quiet responsive and i've no objections against hand-made models. i'm sure about delrin buttons, i have a delrin mouthpiece on my burke low D. i also like the non-metal ends.

anyway i'll stay in D type. but would there be any difference in fingering if i switched from stagi to jeffries or other types?

what would help most would be different sound samples of different concertinas, so i can compare sounds. i love them sweat, mellow and responsive

Edited by lixnaw

i don't even know what's advisable for irish music in the key of D(i only play in D,two octaves), german or anglo type?

Hi,

The standard concertina for Irish music is a C/G anglo, not a G/D. This may sound odd because Irish music tends to be in keys of D and G, but consider that many Irish button accordions are tuned B/C. That's just the way the rows are laid out, and does not mean those keys are the easiest to play in. A G/D is pitched lower, better for accompaniment rather than playing melody.

Don't worry about Jeffries-type versus Wheatstone-type fingering---at least, don't let it direct your choice between two different boxes. Both fingering systems are fine, and you're better off choosing a box based on more important factors like sound, price, responsiveness etc.

Caj