Books on maintenance

Since posting the above question , I have found David Elliots book for sale on line ...but I have also asked myself , should I even  be contemplating restoration on my first ever concertina, which I am just been reliably informed is a  21 key Lachenal , I am a reasonably competent tinker - mechanic (Brit Bikes),  so I suppose I am wanting some guidance  about the job a competent amateur might do and the job a  Pro would do  . Which leads to another question,  'are there any restorers here in New Zealand ?

I would only be doing pads, valves and bushes,  and there is a small leak in one of the bellows corners... reed work ?  no   . I've just read there are restorers over the ditch in Oz , what might I expect to pay for a freshen up ?  thanks Barry

I agree with Don - every player should have a copy of David's book. Basic care & maintenance is not challenging for anyone with basic competence in "tinkering". There are a few things to remember, but David's book covers the lot. Happy to share a few tips if you'd like to email me: richard.miles@westnet.com.au .

I purchased the book from Hobgoblin. It shipped from UK to US in reasonable time. As a tinkerer, just the description of how the instrument works will make it well worth the price for you. Dave did a great job with this book.

Remembering back to the first restoration I did, I gave up in frustration that what I did just didn't seem to work.  I was using Dave's book, but the buttons continued to stick and in the end I passed the job on to a professional.

The lesson I learned was that it was me that was at fault, not Dave's book!  You have to follow Dave's guidance extremely carefully, make sure you have decent materials, establish a procedure for yourself and learn (or acquire) a large dose of patience.  Once I learned to take my time and accomplish the task correctly, I managed several successful repairs and complete restoration.  Inevitably (and it still happens), if I try to do things to a deadline, I end up having to repeat or restart.

Alex West

Thanks everyone for the book recommendations, one thing I would add: part of the purpose behind the book was to let people know what they were getting into before they pick up the screwdriver. To allow people to judge their own capabilities with respect to what they are taking on. 

Dave

• Like 1